Thread: error code 0x8007064a while installing Microsoft Security Essentials

error code 0x8007064a while installing Microsoft Security Essentials

I am using Windows 7 on my computer and am trying to install Microsoft Security Essentials on my pc. But when I trying to install this antivirus on my system then I am getting error code 0x8007064a and the installation stops. I have already validated my Windows copy but still this antivirus says that it is unable to complete the installation. I have also not installed any other security programs on my computer, so what could be the problem with its installation? Kindly help

Re: error code 0x8007064a while installing Microsoft Security Essentials

I have found a solution but for that you need to open regedit. After opening it go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products and find a folder that has Microsoft Security Client listed as the ProductName. Now try to make a note of the hexidecimal folder name which can be found in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\UpgradeCodes. Just go through those folders until you find one with registry key which matches the folder name Microsoft Security Client key was found in. Simply delete both folders and make sure there isnt any more than one for Microsoft Security Client in both Products and UpgradeCodes paths. Now you will be able to install MSE successfully.

I have never seen that kind of error code while installing Microsoft Security Essentials. After searching for a solution over the net, I found that the problem could be related to a bad configuration of sorts trying to write to a device. You should try to fill a bug report and for that you can also open a support case via email on this link - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/p.../dd891073.aspx. You can report any bugs via the Microsoft Connect website from here as well - https://connect.microsoft.com/securityessentials

I would suggest you to fist download the OneCare Utility clean up tool from this link - http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...areCleanup.exe and save it on your desktop. After that double click on it and click Run and then Continue. You can read all the licsensing agreement an then click on I Accept button and click Continue. After that simply click on Clean and when it finishes restart your pc. Now you can try to install Microsoft Security Essentials and see if that works.