Thread: Is it possible to add a media server in Windows home edition

Is it possible to add a media server in Windows home edition

I want to know that is it possible to add a media server in Windows home edition. I want one so that I can stream the content through different devices. Like on different mobile and tablets based devices. Here I am having just a home edition that means it is not loaded with much features. So it is quiet a hard to make it work. I tried finding out in the setting I am not able to find any third party media streaming options in it. I want a single tool that can help me to simply get simple music file sharing. And if possible also the videos.

Re: Is it possible to add a media server in Windows home edition

It can be done through a third party app. You just have to first turn on file sharing and then you can use a media server software. Like XMBC which is free to use and has almost all those features that you are looking for. XMBC is a easy to use software and has effective options. After installation it will add all the multimedia files in XMBC library that you can access on different system. All you have to do is instal a server at one point and then install the client on others and done. It will start working.

There are many apps that you can try out and they are good enough to give you simple media streaming options. XMBC is a full media server with many advance features. It has tv shows and radios also. You can connect your pc to internet and you can stream things as per your need. Here you can connect a dual widescreen tv on your pc and you can stream HD content on that and I am quiet sure that it will work really well. There would be no issues in using the same. Just try to checkout a few manual so that you can get a bit more details about setting up a media server.

I think you must try out Plex because it is a nice and decent media server that is worth using. It is a quiet popular media server which is wroth using and has many internal application to gets. You can simply add your music and movies in the same and enjoy streaming on the same. The good part of this software is that it is capable of simply adjusting the quality of media files on its own. If you are having a low resolution video then it will try to fix it and will make it lot more better. There are some extra features in the paid version.

I was using Subsonic long time ago and it is easy to use. It is not having a very flashy UI like XMBC but it is nice enough for streaming the content as per your need. You get a simple media player where you can share your files and access them across the network. There is one thing you can try here. You can configure remote access on the same. That means you can still access your files through internet on your mobile or tablet. I don't have much information on the new version of this software, but the one that I use is really effective.

If you need a decent media server setup then there is two things you can do. First if you rely on the software then there will be limited things. Or else you can try using a blu ray player or a media server software. There are tons of third party media server which will alone handle everything. Even your cable connection. And this is a kind of one time setup. You have to pay a bit small amount for that and then you get a simple device that you can connect to your pc and configure your server as per your need.