Thread: Shared files not accessible on Windows 8.1 pc

Shared files not accessible on Windows 8.1 pc

I need a one time setup of file sharing. I have some data that I have to move from old pc to a new one. The data is really large so I cannot copy that through a pen drive. It is around 400GB. And I have that much space in my new Windows 8.1 pc. I arrange a wifi card through which I am trying to access the data stored. But there is some issue with that. I am not able to move any files from one pc to another. First the transfer speed is very slow and second it takes long time for my pc to locate the computer on lan.

Re: Shared files not accessible on Windows 8.1 pc

Go and just check in Device Manager that the card you had installed is not having any warning sign on the same. If it has then it means you are not having proper drivers. You have to update it back again to resolve the issue. You can find the updates on the official site. Just do that once and check again. If you have multiple slots on your board you can try replacing the card from one to another and it will start working. Just reconfigure the lan settings once again and test it. If this does not work then it is good to use lan cable.

If network and sharing center is turned on then you wont face any issue with the same. And if that is not configured properly then you will get the issue. To test right click on the folder and then click on properties. In that click on the sharing tab and choose everyone. Give access Read and Write. This is a full permission for a person to share and make changes in the folders or file. That is going to help a lot. You can then make changes in the files.

Here in Windows 8.1 if the sharing thing is properly configured then the issue can be with the wifi card. It might not be working properly and give you the issue you are facing. You can modify the settings from the control panel and that is the very basic thing. You also have to check properly that your wifi card is working well. You can do that by running a simple ping command.Just ping your router ip in cmd and see if you are setting the response or not.

Usually this cards are very easy to use. I am using a external one and I am getting a better output. All I have to do is connect the usb to the pc and then configure the wireless connection. Once you connect the wifi is turned on through usb and works well. But transfer speed is slow. Compare to that if you do the same on a internal wifi card then it is faster. I will advice you to change the place of the same and then test back. I am quiet sure it will help.

There is another way through which you can share the files if the internet is working. The process is long but helpful. Here you can try uploading your files on the cloud if they are not very large. I am talking about the important files only. You can just upload them and check. And that will surely help you in dealing with the issue. And for large files it is good to use a long lan cable and connect the pc through them.