Thread: NetGear DG834N connectivity failure on Windows 8.1

NetGear DG834N connectivity failure on Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 is not easy to use according to me. I have this on my desktop and I am having issue with connectivity on the same. Before on Windows 7 everything was working just fine. But now on Windows 8.1 I having connectivity problem. I am using a wifi card on my system that help to connect to my router through wifi connection. The wireless connection appears in the network but I am unable to connect. After sometime it somehow connects on its own but again it disconnect. This was stable in Windows 7. What to do.

Re: NetGear DG834N connectivity failure on Windows 8.1

This is weird. Because in wifi connection the internet remains active all the time and it will only disconnect when you are not in the range of router. You have to recheck the router settings once again. See that you are having a good amount of signal strength for doing the same. And I am quiet sure this will work. If your pc is quiet far from the router range, the issue will remain constant. You can try using a lan cable that will offer you a more stable connectivity. It is cheap and easily available in any regular shop.

Start with updating the router firmware. You can do that directly from the dash board. Sometime outdated firmware cause a lot of connectivity issue. If there is no hardware fault in the system then upgrading firmware will start the wifi setup. You can also try updating the lan drivers. There is one software called as Driver Booster that can help you in getting some latest drivers update. Just download the free edition and scan your pc with that. You will find some new network drivers for the same. Install it.

If you are saying that it was working well on Windows 7, and you have issue on Windows 8.1 only then it means your Ethernet drivers is not properly compatible with the operating system and you are getting this problem. You have to check that once again. You can try connecting to wifi and to lan port both that will help you in dealing with the issue. Updating driver is the only alternative according to me. There is nothing else you can do. You can try resetting the router settings once and reconfigure it back again.

There are few command in windows that can help you to locate whether your lan network is working well or not. Or there is some other issue. First ping your router to find out if you are getting a constant response or not. You can do that by typing 192.168.1.1 -t in cmd. This is the default router address. Check what response you are getting. If you are getting regular ping then it means the router is working quiet well. The second is pinging your dns server. You can find that by typing ipconfig /all. And if it gives you request time out then change that.

Try to reconfigure the router from scratch. And a said above you had to check the dns server ping. You said that you are having disconnection problem. That means the router drops connection in between. This can be due to damage antenna, lots of obstacles or may due to some other issue. Sometime the router wifi is blocked by other devices in the area. Like RF devices. Just check that you had not kept anything near to the router. Try to change the place and bring it near to the pc and test.