Thread: Lan scanner to monitor network activity in windows 7

Lan scanner to monitor network activity in windows 7

I am looking for a good lan scanner that can give me bit detail information about the ongoing activity. At some pc someone has installed a malware. And that is spreading on other pc. There are lots of ads popup also. Almost all browsers are having redirection issue. I am going to format every pc. But after that I want to install a lan scanner which can give me more detail information on the different activities. So that I can locat that from which pc the infection is coming up. Even after having firewall on this issue occurred.

Re: Lan scanner to monitor network activity in windows 7

Lan monitoring is not going to help you much. You have to ask people not to install anything in their pc. Most of the time people use free or pirated software. And that cause this kind of virus issue. Still if you want to use a lan monitoring software then you can go with SoftPerfect Network Scanner. This tool is effective for lan scanning and give you a lot of information about different activities. It is easy to use. But I do not really think it might have something to protect your system. You can try using a good antivirus. That will help you more.

There are ample of scanners. But it is hard to find what things are going on. Most of the time the system on lan network are on automatic ip. And the ip gets changed. You need something that you can manage through the router. A tool that can create a full network report. From that you can get more information on network activity. I was using Advanced IP Scanner before which is an ice tool. It atleast give you information about the different systems on the network with its IP address. It is simple to use also.

Just download and install Network Scanner 3.6.0. I had used it long back on a project work. It is good if you are on windows network and does not know much about networking. It has a very simple interface. You get information on various thing through this. You get ip and mac address details. You can also find a device name through this. You can find which user is logged on which pc and pull details about its motherboard bios and processor. The tool can listen tcp and udp ports. So that you can get more detail about the network activity.

Network monitoring is always complicated when it comes to windows. For that I had configured a linux pc on my network. It is a ubuntu system that has a network monitoring tool. It is called ntop. This tool scans and gives me a full fledged detail about things going on the network. It is easy to use but need few networking skills to understand. It gives you graph wise information about different pc. This information shows the bandwidth consume, downloaded data, etc.

I will recommend you to use SoftPerfect Network Scanner. It is a free tool that is not limited to anything. Many network scanner which you will find online will have a restriction due to trial edition. This one is really amazing and I think this is enough to give you all network report. Through this you can locate whether the pc you are trying to access is on or not. You can find the mac address of pc instantly. You can automatically locate which folders are shared and which are having write permission.