Thread: Windows defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer on Windows 8

Windows defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer on Windows 8

I recently purchased a new computer and installed Windows 8 on it. I also installed McAfee on my system. I wanted to use Windows Defender so I removed the Mcafee antivirus and restarted my pc. After that when I am trying to turn on Windows Defender, then I am getting an error message that states "Windows defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer. If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status."

I dont know how do i solve this issue, please help.

Re: Windows defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer on Windows 8

I think that McAfee wont be fully uninstalled from your pc, so what you need to do is download and install McAfee removal tool and then try to remove all the remaining traces of the antivirus. After removing McAfee from your system completely you will have to restart your pc and then the Action center will let you know that the Defender is turned off and it needs to be started. Remember that if any other antivirus is installed in your machine then Defender will automatically turn off.

Re: Windows defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer on Windows 8

I would suggest you to remove the antivirus completely and restore to the default settings. To restore your Windows 8 operating system to its default you can use the Refresh your PC without losing any personal files. To do that first open the start menu and then type Refresh PC. After that click on Settings and then click on Refresh your pc. A refresh window will open and then you just have to follow the instructions given in the Refresh window. Hope this helps.

The Windows Defender comes preinstalled on a Windows 8 system, you dont have to install it. It comes integrated with Windows 8 to safeguard from malwares. You cannot also uninstall Windows Defender. When you install any third party antivirus on your system then Windows Defender gets disabled automatically. So, after you properly and fully uninstall that third party antivirus then only Windows Defender will be enabled in your pc.