Thread: removing PUP.datamngr virus

removing PUP.datamngr virus

I regularly scan my pc with my antivirus and recently it caught a virus which was telling me to scan my computer with some other antivirus software. So, I deleted it from the task manager and some registry entries. Now when I am scanning the computer with Malwarebytes then I am getting some pup.datamngr showing up in the scan. When I try to remove it then after a reboot it comes back again. So, I just wanted to know what is the best method to get rid of this virus? Thanks

Re: removing PUP.datamngr virus

The PUP.datamngr virus is nothing but a web browser extension. To get rid of this virus, you will have to launch Internet Explorer browser and then go to Tools and then Manage Add-ons. After that go to Toolbars and Extensions and here you have to uninstall everything that is related to the Searchqu from the list. The list could include Searchqu toolbar, UrlHelper Class, Bandoo Media, iLivid, etc. Once you have removed everything then reboot your pc and in the next boot you wont get this virus again.

PUP.datamngr is nothing but a potentially unwanted program that gets installed when you try to install some freeware software, it comes packaged inside all software that are free to download. To remove it, log into safe mode and then search for the below files installed in your computer by removing its registry entries. To open registy editor click on Start and then in Search bar type regedit and then locate and delete all the below registry entries:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “[\].exe”
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Settings “net
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell “”

The PUP.datamngr virus usually redirects your web page to some other website. So first you will need to remove it from the Internet Explorer browser or any other browser's add-on, as suggested above. After that delete all the registry entries pointing to this virus as well, this is also given above. And then delete all the files listed below by searching in the folders mentioned and then reboot your pc to take effect:

• %AppData%\Programs\[rnd].exe
    • %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\.dll
    • %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\.exe(rnd)