Thread: Want help to change the default IP address of a router

Want help to change the default IP address of a router

I want to change the default IP address of my router. I am having a Asus model which has modem and router both. By default it is 192.168.1.1. Many of my friends are aware about the router settings. They somehow manage to enter the router and modify the wifi password. I want to stop that by modifying its IP directly. I had tried checking inside the settings, but can't find any option.

Re: Want help to change the default IP address of a router

You cannot change the default IP. It is a factory settings. And even if you manage then I think you will have a issue with internet connection. You have to use a strong password so that no one can change it. I think you are using a very basic or easy to guess password. Just use special characters in a text so that no one can easily figure it out. That is only settings I thin possible.

I never heard about that. You cannot modify that thing. It pre-configured at the factory. I think no router or modem today provide you this settings. Even if you want then you have to overwrite the firmware. And this can be done through networking people only. If you did this wrong then there can be problem with the router. It might not work fine. You can try to hide the IP if you want.

You can't change the router IP but you can change the lan ip. That will also help you in fixing the issue. I had did this before. In the router by default the lan ip is 192.168.1.1 and you can change that. But I am not sure which all routers has this settings. You have to go in Network Configuration in that. Where you can apply the IP details and dns server. Just see that your router has this option or not.

My router IP is visible to anyone driving or walking by as are 3 or 4 others visible to me. My router has a WPA Key that must be entered to gain access. It is a series of hex characters. Mine is 10 characters long. There should be a set up in your router to secure it it with a password. Like others have said use a comlicated series of numbers, letters and special characters. You will only have to enter it once. If you lose it and have to reset your computer you should be able to reset the router to factory setting with a ADMIN password then start over. There is a small hole that a paperclip fits into

Good luck with your "friends".