Thread: Wrong file format displayed by Windows on Mapped Drive

Wrong file format displayed by Windows on Mapped Drive

Each time when I open a shared folder on the lan it shows me wrong program associated with files. Like for images I can see vlc icons. Also for office files I have to choose the program manually. While in my system I can properly see different programs default for each extension. Is this some kind of virus problem. I tried finding at many places for the solution but cannot see anything. I had went in the program access and defaults which looks perfect. I just want to access the files by double clicking on the same.

Re: Wrong file format displayed by Windows on Mapped Drive

It can be a virus issue. You can keep the system on scanning. Do that under safe mode, it will be more easier for the antivirus to locate infected files and heal the system. It is quiet common that many infection simply mess up with the file extension. When you double click you are launching the virus file.

star Re: Wrong file format displayed by Windows on Mapped Drive

Quote Originally Posted by minajoh View Post
    Each time when I open a shared folder on the lan it shows me wrong program associated with files. Like for images I can see vlc icons. Also for office files I have to choose the program manually. While in my system I can properly see different programs default for each extension. Is this some kind of virus problem. I tried finding at many places for the solution but cannot see anything. I had went in the program access and defaults which looks perfect. I just want to access the files by double clicking on the same.
    Better to have a good total security antivirus installed in your system. Same problem I was also facing. Mostly, this problem is raised when you do net without any antivirus installed. If, you have a system cleaner application installed, it will also be better.

When you are in the shared folder right click on the file and choose open with. From the box choose the software and add a tick below which says always open the file in particular program. This will set the program default for that extension which is the simplest procedure. You can also try to run system restore. This will help you to restore the old settings back and make your system work properly as it was before. But if the issue appear back again then there can be a virus issue in the system. Go on that system and launch Windows Explorer. Check in that whether the file association with default program is proper or not. If not then try system restore first and then run a full antivirus scan for your system.

Setting program access defaults is quiet easy. You can find the settings for the same in Control Panel. You can assign different program for different extension and run the same. Try this one. If the extension is modified once again then you have to re-install windows.