Thread: error message BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

error message BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

I am having a HP Desktop computer that is running on Windows 8. Just recently I started getting an error message stating "There was a problem Starting. C:\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll. The specified module could not be found" when I start my pc. I think that this is a malware and so I run a full scan with the Avg antivirus but nothing was caught? So how do I get rid of this startup error now? Please help

Re: error message BackgroundContainer\BackgroundContainer.dll

Well, can you try to press the Windows key + R key on the keyboard. After that type taskschd.msc and then press Enter key. Now you need to click on the Task Scheduler library folder and then right click on the BackgroundContainer task and then choose to delete it. Restart the computer and then do a full scan again and then reboot and see if you get the error message at startup or not.

Try to start your computer in Safe mode with Networking first. After that open Control Panel and then search for Folder Options and open it. Then go to View tab and tick mark Show Hidden files and folders and non-tick Hide protected operating system files and click ok. After that in Safe mode with networking press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and then go to Processes tab and find processes related to RunDLL Error Message/Background Container.dll and end all its process. Open registry editor and delete the below registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\random
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\random
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run\random

Now restart computer and start in normal mode, you will not see the error message again.

Download a utility called Autoruns for Windows from this link - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx. It is a software that will allow you to control all the applications that start automatically when Windows starts. Autoruns has an interface to display the details of each type of services or applications (DLL, services, scheduled tasks, IE toolbars), which can also be displayed by tabs. If you want to disable a program, simply uncheck the checkbox.