Thread: Share different folders on wifi without turning on file sharing

Share different folders on wifi without turning on file sharing

How to share a file on wifi without turning on file sharing. I have some videos which are around 1GB in size. In total there are 10 videos. I want to add them on the media server, but don't want all to access it. So I want some other way of sharing files. I have around 4 to 5 devices in the network. I want that only my tablet will be able to view those files. No other can. I had tried to check in windows settings but cannot locate a option for that.

Re: Share different folders on wifi without turning on file sharing

I do not think there is a option available for that. You have to anyhow add the file on the network and it will be accessible to all. If you try to use some third party software then you have to install it in the tablet also.

It is possible through file permission. This is a great feature in Windows. You can share file but you can disallow access to the same. Just right click on the file and choose Properties. Go to security. This is the place where you are going to get all the file permission things. You have to click on Edit. From the popup box you can remove all the access. Only add a specific user which you want. Then add a powerful password on the same. The next time when you will try to stream the content you have to add a user id and password on that. So this is quiet easy to use and manage also. The only drawback of this feature is that people can modify the user permission if they have access to your media server. For important file I always do this. I block the access and assign a user id on the same. Without that windows does not give anyone access to the file.

You can try ftp. Ftp servers are very easy to manage and easy to create also. You can access all the shared file inside your lan network. You don't need to enable file sharing here. You just have to create a ftp server or you can use a third party tool like Filezilla.

There is one tool you can try. It is called as Lanshark. It is a free software. The tool allow you to share file and access them through the network. When you install the tool it will automatically detect the users of the network and allow them to access the shared files. You can modify the file permission as per your need. You can also search through different files shared no your network. It has a very simple interface and it is easy to use. Being a free tool you don't have to pay for the same. You can configure it easily and enable fast searching on the same. It is a cross platform tool. That means if you have other OS on your network you can also use the tool on the same. It also has a web based interface through which you can access your files.

FTP server is the best solution. There are many free tools and full OS are available for the process. You can configure your own personal file server on the network. The accessibility will be provided to you only. I will recommend you to learn more about the same.

There are different ways of having files on the network. The shared stuff can be limited as per your requirement. But for that you have to understand file permission. You don't really need a third party software. I am having a media server at my home. It is a PC that is running on Windows Server. The server has different folders in which movies and other things are kept. Some folders are locked and cannot be access without proving the password while some are freely accessible to all. This secure also. You don't have to worry about configuration or about managing the shared file. It is also very easy. Once you are are able to understand how home media sharing actually works. You can get a comprehensive guide on the same that give you more detail about using file sharing stuff.

Try LAN Bridger. This is a nice tiny tool through which you can with one click share files. It works on lan ip. You can configure the ip address on it and access the system. If you want to keep things secure you can keep password.