Thread: How to find that someone is using my wifi connection

How to find that someone is using my wifi connection

What is the possible way to locate that someone at my home or in my neighbor is using my wireless internet. I had shared all media files on the network and I had kept it for my home usage. It is like a media server. I had seen a bit slowness in the internet and sometime the files buffer a lot. Even when I am not using the lights on router keeps on blinking. So I think someone is trying to access my connection. Can anyone give me detail about the same.

Re: How to find that someone is using my wifi connection

You can find that through the router. When sometime device connect to it, every router has a page where you can see the connected devices. If you find any suspicious device connected disconnect it and limit the ip address.

It is common that when you turn on your wifi there are people are who are trying to access it. That is the reason you must lock it with a powerful password. So that no one can access your connection. It is correct mentioned above that it is possible to locate who is using your wifi connection through the router. Every router has a DHCP Client List. When you turn this on whichever device is connected uses a ip address allotted by the router. It will show you the connected device. Here you can turn off the dhcp and configure manual ip for the router connectivity. This is very easy and it also block all access. Even if someone is connected they wont be able to use your internet connection. Along with this there are many third party tools which can help you to locate who are using your network without your permission.

You can install a wireless monitoring tool on your system. The tool will give you the list of ip address and will tell you that there are other more devices which are connected to your network. You can then block access to them.

Change your router. Get a costly one with more features. Some advance router comes with powerful security features which you can apply to keep your network maximum secure. It is easier to manage also. If you think that someone is using the wifi then the only option left is to modify the password. But if still the same issue continuous then it means your network is hacked. For that you have to get a more powerful router that has many new security features. There are ample of good models available under Dlink. Some of them come with advance security features which are easily to configure and add. I will advice you to go for the same.

I don't think so you can so easily locate anyone who is connected to your wifi network. You must change your wifi password. Keep on changing the same on regular time interval. This will keep your system protected from external access.

There is a tiny tool which can help to see who is on your network. The name of that utility is Wireless Network Watcher. It is a free tool that you can download and keep a close eye on your network. It works nicely and does not has any problem. It will give you detail about active connections. In this way you can find what more amount of systems are connected to your network. If there are many then your network is hacked or your password is shared. You must change the same instantly. It is a bit complicated to privatize wifi networks. This things are not available but in future we might get some technology to limit a wifi coverage or to limit the network access through strong security protocol.

You can find tons of simple tools on web through which you can access someones internet connection without knowing the password. This are done by simple hack. And it is not in capacity of everyone to apply a costly network security solution.