Thread: Where to download Portable FTP server which can be run from usb

Where to download Portable FTP server which can be run from usb

I need a portable version of any ftp server client. I have some file transfer job. I go with a web based option through website cpanel, it is quiet time consuming. My office pc does not allow me to install anything. So I want a portable version of ftp server which I can carry in a usb port. I want to use this one and upload my all files on the web. I have a server which is kept for backup only. Through a portable ftp I can work from different places.

Re: Where to download Portable FTP server which can be run from usb

You can download and use FileZilla Portable. There is a portable edition available of this popular ftp software. You can enable tons of feature in it and run the same through a pen drive. It does not require any setup. It is lightweight. Portableapps is a good place to find different portable tools.

There are many. I am also using the same portable Filezilla tool. It works fine. But I did not find it stable. I had last time kept around 2GB of file upload on that. The process was going well but the tool crashed in between. I never faced this issue with FlashFXP. Which is another ftp software. It is more stable and works really well. I found the portable version of FlashFXP which can help me more. I am using this because of security. It has some additional features which other ftp tool does not has. And if you are working with your website file then you must take care while using the same. It is common that pen drives get virus easily. And they can also infect your web server. I found the portable edition on its official site. It is a tiny downoad and works well. It is secure and stable. The password protection feature blocks the usage for all.

Better to use the full edition. Portable are bit unstable and can crash very easily. I had used portable ftp but I am not really satisfied from the kind of output it is offering. I think if you go ahead using terminal in ubuntu OS then it is more reliable.

Try FileZilla Portable 3.7.3. This is stable and it is also portable. There are many tools but not all are effective. So I am going to list you some good software that you can test out. If you find FileZilla not reliable then there are some alternatives. The most simplest one among all is WinSCP. It is a free tool that help you to get a secure connection and you can constantly transfer files to your server. Being a open source software you don't require to pay for the same. The tool provide you SFTP and SCP protocols. You can go ahead with secure transfer also. Another one is FireFTP. This is not a complete software it is a Firefox Extension. You can enable ftp process directly through your web browser. It is handy and is also loaded with good features. While if you need only performance then you have to go for Xlight FTP Server. It is a high performance server that can handle multiple connection and does not crash at all. There is a personal edition available which is free that is good for testing.