Thread: Photon Plus stopped working on Windows 8 suddenly

Photon Plus stopped working on Windows 8 suddenly

Instead of upgrading my Windows 7 systems to windows 8, i thought to buy a new PC and got a Sony laptop running windows 8 pro. The new OS appears good and it really worked fine so far (since a month) but having a problem since past two days which is yet unsolved.

Along with this laptop i also bought a new Photon Plus Dongle to be online while traveling. It was working good so far as i said, but since day before yesterday when i am trying to connect the dongle, it gives me an error message saying:

"The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly"

No idea what went wrong all of a sudden. I tried doing some troubleshooting on my own, called up Photon customer care, they tried doing some troubleshooting but yet the same error every time. Did anyone of you have come across with similar problems? How to fix it?

Re: Photon Plus stopped working on Windows 8 suddenly

Such error occurs when the Photon's Dial Out connection as well as VPN uses the same port. Here are the steps to fix the same but it requires registry editing. Hence i will suggest to better backup your entire registry or just dont follow these steps because playing with registries may also damage your entire system if anything goes wrong. If you agree, here we go:

• Press Win+R key to bring up the RUN Command.
    • Type in "regedit.exe" without quotes and click OK.
    • Now navigate to the following location:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
    • From the toll bar Click Edit > New > Multi-String Value.
    • Name this new value as 'ReservedPorts'.
    • Now double click this key and set the value as type1723-1723 in the value data box.
    • Click OK and close the registry window.
    • Restart the system to effect the changes.

Just in case the above steps wont work and you still get the same error message then try connecting your Photon Modem with some another computer and see if it is working fine. I’m telling this because it has happened once with me where I was getting the same error message, try the above mentioned registry fix but still the error remained as it is.

Later when I tried connecting the modem to another laptop, surprisingly I got the same error. So in my case modem itself was faulty. See if this is not with you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenral View Post
    Later when I tried connecting the modem to another laptop, surprisingly I got the same error. So in my case modem itself was faulty. See if this is not with you as well.
    Thanks for your concern buddy, but fortunately that is not the case with me. The steps provided by Nicole above worked for me. I am not able to use my Photon without any problem. Help appreciated.