Thread: MSE neither works nor allow me to uninstall

MSE neither works nor allow me to uninstall

I bought a brand new laptop about a week ago that came preloaded with windows 7 and Kaspersky as antivirus. As i love MSE since i was using XP, i removed Kaspersky and installed MSE. Installation went fine but dont know why MSE just dint want to work on this laptop. Whenever i try to launch it from Start Menu, it gives me an error. Similarly when i try to uninstall (assuming re-installation can fix the problem) it from add and remove programs, again it gives me an error and wont uninstalls. Damn, i have no idea left what to do. Hope anyone of you can help me out with this.

Re: MSE neither works nor allow me to uninstall

Quote Originally Posted by engrossed View Post
    Whenever i try to launch it from Start Menu, it gives me an error. Similarly when i try to uninstall (assuming re-installation can fix the problem) it from add and remove programs, again it gives me an error
    You said you get Error Messages at both the situations, you would have better mentioned those error messages. Because even i am using MSE since long time and have pretty good experience with it but have never faced any such problem. So it would be helpful to troubleshoot if you can reply back with the error messages.

Alright, sorry for incomplete post. Here are those error messages:

I get the following error while starting it:
    "Windows can not access the specified path."

And while trying to uninstall, it says:
    "You do not have sufficient access to uninstall MSE."

Damn, i am the only Administrator of this PC then why dont i have the sufficient access?

To me it seems like your system is infected with some critical malware. You should try out some AntiMalware and perform a deep scan on your computer. The best I know is "Hitman Pro Kickstart". I’ve used it once on my friend’s system and found it really impressive. Just download and run the same. You can get more info about "Hitman Pro Kickstart" in this thread: MSE error 'The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000ba)'

Quote Originally Posted by engrossed View Post
    And while trying to uninstall, it says:
    "You do not have sufficient access to uninstall MSE."
    There are several users who face problems while uninstalling MSE, reasons could be many but there is one solution that worked for all. Microsoft has officially released a FixIt Tool to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials which can be downloaded from here. I think this will also fix your startup problems because the tool also fixes MSE registry issues and removes remnants of Microsoft Security Essentials from your computer. Hope it helps.