Thread: Is it worth to go for Static IP instead of relying on DHCP for security

Is it worth to go for Static IP instead of relying on DHCP for security

What is better between Static IP and DHCP. I want to keep my newtork personal. Rightnow we have a dhcp configuration in the router. IP address is automatically assigned. But somehow I do not feel this to be secure. Because here if I configure all the devices on static ip address then I have more chances to control the network and completely block other devices from accessing my network.

Re: Is it worth to go for Static IP instead of relying on DHCP for security

It is proper. When you disable DHCP your network will be visible but no one will be able to connect as the automatic ip assigning service is disabled. Only after adding manual details you can go ahead with the usage.

Static ip cannot be said as secure but it provide you complete control over your network. Security goes with strong password and type of security application you are using. Like a firewall, network filter, etc. Now if you want to limit your network then you can also go ahead with mac filtering. There will be a set of devices only which will be allowed to access your network. While other all are blocked. To add a device you will require to add the mac address of device in the router. In this way your network remains limited and secure also. While under DHCP any device which has the password of your wifi can connect and surf web. The security thing here entirely depends on the router/modem you own. While for other stuff you can try third party software. Like network monitoring utilities which are capable of scanning your network and giving you information on complete network activity. Different network filtering software work simply great and gives you information on different activities. This require manual check every time. While you can simply hook your network on static ip and sit back.

Keeping everything on static ip is complicated. Each time we have to go with manual settings. I do not recommend this to those who are using multiple devices in their office. Because it is a kind of time consuming process.