Thread: Require some help with lan traffic filtering

Require some help with lan traffic filtering

Which tool is available in the market that can allow me to filter network traffic. Like we are having a set of computers in our office.We had separated them on the basis of department. Now I want some way through which I can simply filter the lan network traffic. The issue lies with the bandwidth usage. I want some way to block certain access to some computers.

Re: Require some help with lan traffic filtering

You can go with permission stuff. You can change the permission and restrict access if you are only want to block files. That cannot be done to the internet settings. In Windows when go in the sharing tab there you can manage folder accessing permission.

Wireshark can help you in network traffic filtering. The tool has some set of advance option available through which you can simply configure the network traffic. Now there is a big difference between network traffic and file sharing. If you want both then you will need to work with file sharing separately while internet bandwidth can be managed through software or directly through the router. When we say filter, it means that you have to completely block access to certain department or pc but you want them on the lan for file sharing. Networx 5.2.9 is another application which is available in market that works on the same thing. But it is also resource intensive. It is necessary that you must use a dedicated pc for that. Now routers by Cisco great you a kind of advance solution for managing the network traffic as well you can control the file settings. But for that you will need to go for a more high end hardware then it will be costly but it is more easy to manage.

There are many things available for traffic analyzing. But I am not really sure about filtering stuff. This is a very advance networking concept. The best thing you can do is simply create a set of different lan network.

Filtering can be done through firewall. But that only goes with block and unblocking stuff. Filtering is very complicated through software. But it is easy to manage through routers. Many heavy duty routers that comes in the market comes with internal web traffic management where you can on the basis of mac address filter pc on the network. But that is a kind of manual job. So you need a person who knows all those stuff. It is more easy to manage then. Once you filter the system on the basis of mac address the connectivity to those pc will be locked. They will be on the network but they will not be able to use the internet.