Thread: How to get rid of DirtyDefrag.exe virus

How to get rid of DirtyDefrag.exe virus

I am running Windows 7 on my computer and I dont know how did I get infected with this DirtyDefrag.exe virus. I tried to scan my PC with Norton Antivirus but it is not picking anything. If I am trying to open any files on my computer like pdf files, my photos, videos, etc; then a message pops up saying that "file is encrypted and can be decrypted by DirtyDecrypt.exe". Can anyone tell me how do I remove this virus from my pc? Thanks

Re: How to get rid of DirtyDefrag.exe virus

To remove this DirtyDefrag.exe virus from your pc, restart your computer and press F8 to get an option to boot your computer in Safe Mode with Networking. After that click Start and then in the Search bar type msconfig and press ok. Go to the Startup tab and then disable any suspicious processes that you find. Now again go to Start > Search bar and type regedit. Go to the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\ . Here you have to find "shell" at the right side and then change its value into Explorer.exe by right clicking it if the value is different. Now save this changes that you have done and restart your pc and see if the problem has been solved.

There is an easy way to remove this DirtyDefrag.exe virus. Just open registry editor and then delete the below registery keys that are specified:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\”Shell” = “[random].exe”
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

After that you will have to also delete the below files from the given directory:
    C:\Program Files\Dirty\DirtyDecrypt.exe
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Dirty\DirtyDecrypt.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Dirty\DirtyDecrypt.exe

Now restart your pc and the virus will be removed.

If the above solution doesnt work for you then restart your pc and press F8 and boot to Safe Mode with Networking. After that download a tool called Hitman Pro or either Malwarebytes from searching it on google. After installing this tool and removing the virus successfully by scanning your pc, you will have to run a system file checker, so for this open command prompt and type sfc/scannow.