Thread: What is the difference between ZFS and UFS File system on NAS

What is the difference between ZFS and UFS File system on NAS

I am trying to configure a new file server on my network. This time relying on the regular windows file sharing feature I opted to go for NAS setup. While configuring the type of shared space I am getting two options here. The first one is ZFS file system and the other one is UFS. I am confused between this two. Which one is better. I do want any complicated setup. There will be a simple file storage solution for all users.

Re: What is the difference between ZFS and UFS File system on NAS

ZFS is most commonly used file system. You can choose that one. If you just require a file sharing space and nothing more than that. Which will be more easier. It is not appropriate to waste your time in finding out the information on various file system.

In simple word ZFS is newer and UFS is old. ZFS offers you to configure large space drive for storage and it is also easy to manage. It consist of a file system along with volume manager which is effective. Also due to that it offers you a really high storage capacity to share. Along with this you also get additional features for optimizing your file sharing stuff. You can manage your resources and also protect them from different crash issue. The file system offers more data integrity. In terms of performance both are fast and simple. Compare to regular windows sharing if you are having a ZFS or UFS file system no your network you can expect a much better data transfer speed over the regular one. The transfer speed here also depend on the drive performance. If you are using a low rpm hard drive then the output will not be better. It is essential that you must simply move with ZFS and keeping the full drive a single storage system. Which is more easier and better.

ZFS/UFS are nothing but more reliable and fast file system. They are ideal for file storage only where the operating system has nothing much to do. You can choose ZFS here which is good for future purpose also.

ZFS offers you some additional benefit over your regular file system. It provide you protection from data corruption. In regular file system you cannot get any specific help if your data is damage. While in ZFS you can expect a bit more reliability in terms of data integrity. Along with this you get a really high space for storing file which is not possible in a regular OS. Other thing it has is volume management, snapshot, etc. Many are using ZFS only to maintain data integrity. It makes your drive performance better and it also goes well for long usage. There are specific hard drive which are fitted inside a NAS drive. They are not regular drives. This performance drives works 24x7 with more reliable solution. UFS stands for Unix File System which is a bit older but also reliable. There are certain limitation in it which are overcome by ZFS giving out more better performance.