Thread: Norton 360 disabled after upgrading to Windows 8.1 Preview

Norton 360 disabled after upgrading to Windows 8.1 Preview

After lots of troubleshooting and research anyhow i managed to get my Norton suite run on Windows 8. You might be knowing that there are rarely any antivirus suites that work with this new operating system except the built-in windows defender. Anyhow i got norton worked on it. Now the new problem is without thinking about the Antivirus i simply upgraded the system to 8.1 Preview. Yes, it was a huge mistake. Now the system has disabled the Norton and works only with Windows Defender.

Any idea how can i activate the Antivirus again on this new OS? I updated it directly from the Microsoft store. If any more info required, please let me know. Thanks for the helps in advance.

Re: Norton 360 disabled after upgrading to Windows 8.1 Preview

I dont know whether there is any compatibility problem with Windows 8.1 and Norton or any other antivirus programs but what i do know is when you upgrade to Windows 8.1 directly from the Microsoft Store, during the installation the setup use to disable everything on your existing system such as Drivers, applications, etc. Hence after completing the setup you need to re-install those drivers and apps again manually. Did you re-installed the Norton again after updating to windows 8.1? If not, do it now and see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier1234 View Post
    Did you re-installed the Norton again after updating to windows 8.1? If not, do it now and see if it works.
    I don’t think re-installing Norton is going to make it work because even I agree that there is no third party Antivirus programs as of now that is compatible with Windows 8.1 except the built-in Windows defender. I myself tried Norton and Kaspersky and both didn’t work in this new update. Also I found a user having the same problem with Avast, you can check the same here avast internet security suite not compatible with Windows 8.1 Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier1234 View Post
    Did you re-installed the Norton again after updating to windows 8.1? If not, do it now and see if it works.
    Sorry Xavier, tried re-installing but still the same problem. It wont launch or work. Seems like it is not compatible with this operating system as stated above by rajmalhotra. However I cannot relay on Windows defender, isn’t there any other good Antivirus program for 8.1?

Hello DayaA, Even I am upgrade to 8.1 preview last week and faced the same problem as you. After spending lots of hours on web researching for the same, finally I found one helpful peace of info. Symantec has released a new Beta version of Norton Internet Security. According to them it was compatible with Windows 8.1 and they were right. I installed the same on my system and it works fine. So if you want, you can use the same until they release the final version of 8.1 compatible antivirus.