Thread: Cannot complete Microsoft Security Essentials Installation, error code 0x80070780

Cannot complete Microsoft Security Essentials Installation, error code 0x80070780

Microsoft Security Essentials was already installed when I first got my pc. But yesterday when I turned on my computer then I noticed that MSE disappeared from the quick icon area. So, I went to Add and Remove and uninstalled it and when I tried to install a new copy of MSE then I started getting error message that stated "Cannot complete the Security Essentials Installation" and also error code 0x80070780. I dont know what to do now. Any ideas?

Re: Cannot complete Microsoft Security Essentials Installation, error code 0x80070780

I have found that this issue starts because of a infection from a malware that was cleaned. And it usually corrupts the files and folders in this path - c:\program files\Microsoft Security Client. So, because of this corrupted junction points windows is not able to correct it. So, to solve this issue you will need to slave your hard drive by connecting to another computer and then you need to rename the c:\program files\Microsoft Security Client to something else. After it is done, you can easily reinstall Microsoft Security Essentials on your pc.

Re: Cannot complete Microsoft Security Essentials Installation, error code 0x80070780

If the above solution doesnt work for you then you can try to go to this link https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/ and then choose the option called "I think my computer is infected". After that this options will differ by region and a phone support will take you to a Microsoft Answer Desk in the US anytime. You will be given a little free suggestions but after that they will charge you for further assistance for the kind of issue that you are facing.

There is a simple solution for this issue, what you can do is copy the old DELTREE.exe command from a Windows 98 pc to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ folder and then run the DELTREE "Microsoft Security Client" from the C:\Program Files\folder to delete the folder and all the files associated with it. This way you will not have to remove your hard drive. You can easily get the file on a pen drive to install it whenever you need it.