Thread: Which processor will be good to run Vmware server

Which processor will be good to run Vmware server

My office is planing to host a Vmware Server with cloud support. Now I am not really sure what system will be great for that. We are having some Core 2 Duo systems. While the IT guy here is offering a new quote for new system. I just want to find out the hardware requirements here. I hope this would also add more to the performance parts. Does Intel Core i3 or i5 will be better.

Re: Which processor will be good to run Vmware server

I think it requires a powerful system with good ram support. Go for 64bit system only. While for processor you will need to find something that support virtualization technology. I had seen different cpu models among which some support and some does not.

As per the specification that I had seen on web this works on 2Ghz processor also. But that is not enough. It depends on the number of host or virtual machine you are going to run. Going for latest processor like Core i series which you had mentioned will boost your systems output. While for ram alteast go for 8GB. This much ram will only work on 64bit system. And for storage atleast assign a 500GB drive on the same. This would be better. Another important thing which is required to manage the server is high speed internet connection. You will need a 1Gigabit lan port here to manage the connectivity properly. How many virtual machines you are planing to use on the server. If it is more than 2 then I will recommend you to go for a high end hardware configuration so that you do not face much issue while dealing with it. Vmware server supports a different server editions and database. So you can choose the latest one and install it on your system. Vmware also requires better management. That means you must being with a test machine then finally go for the final setup. Because it would be complicated to troubleshoot if you found any errors in future.

The official website of vmware offers you all manual and guides that are need for configuration. That is one of the best thing to refer. Just checkout the guides and make a proper list to things you will need.

Server installation is not complicated. What matters is stability. It is always better to go with 64bit system instead of 32bit which will boost the performance output. 32bit is having low memory support due to which you cannot run different process. Compare to Windows, running Linux will be more better. As it is low on system resource you can run different virtual host on the same. While for Windows you will need to go for 64bit system if you are willing to run multiple virtual machine. In terms of hardware support go for the latest Intel Core i5 or i7 processor. That is beneficial. Adding a graphic card is also added advantage giving a bit boost the visual output.