Thread: Norton internet security quick scan freezes computer

Norton internet security quick scan freezes computer

My system freezes whenever I run Norton Internet Security quick scan. I had used some usb recently on the system. I got virus warning about files, but I need them urgently so I copied. Now when I try to run quick scan to checkout for left viruses, the entire system freezes. Upon reboot it goes back not normal. I am using Norton Internet Security 2012. The last time when I had scanned there were around hundreds of virus detection which were blocked by the antivirus. But now it is not working fine.

Re: Norton internet security quick scan freezes computer

Try to boot your system in safe mode first. When your system is turned on properly run a full system scan. It looks there are ample of threats still left in your pc causing the issue. Once it is completely cleaned then the issue will be resolved.

Thanks for the reply. I did that. I scanned the complete system in safe mode. And there were ample of virus infection. Then I started my pc back in normal mode and click on Quick Scan. It scanned around 3000 files but then stopped. The system was completely freeze. I cannot even move the mouse cursor. This time I kept Task Manager on before I started NIS. The cpu usage touched 100% and did not came down. Due to which I cannot do anything. The system works really fine with other applications, but from last couple of days it is giving me hard time in using Norton. I had not tested full system scan also. I am having a laptop here. I think there can be some kind of weird problem with the antivirus itself. It is trying to clean some file where it stucked and cause the entire system to slowdown. I am looking for some help here. Does re-installation will fix the problem. I had not yet tried that. I am having the license key with me and I can download the trail edition from web. Does running the setup once again will do some job.

You can run a repair setup once again. You can go in Control Panel > Uninstall a program and there click on Norton. At the left corner you can see change/remove button. Click on it. What options do you get. There are chances of getting a repair or modify option here from where you can fix the antivirus setup.

I will advice you to check for new updates. Which would be more better. New updates makes your system perform more better in terms of such issue. Before running the scan the first thing you can do is update the antivirus. There is a log report section in the antivirus which can give you information about scanning process. Go that section and see if you can find any error or name of any specific file on which the scanning stucked. Re-installing can fix the job. But keep that as the last and only alternative. Another simple thing here can fix your problem is system restore. You can run that by choosing a older date. This will put back the old settings and make your system proper. It is always recommended that you scan your system files first before copying them in your pc. It is really not good to ignore the virus warnings. They can be harmful and some of them are capable of damaging crucial system files also. Where the only option left is to run a full system repair setup. It will be better if you keep your data backup ready.

I got the same issue with Avast. It stuck on full system scan and gives really hard time to make the system work back. I tried many things but nothing worked. Later on I removed Avast and installed AVG which works fine now. There is no issue with it.

Norton is a heavy antivirus. It consume good amount of system resources. So first thing you have to do is to check your hardware configuration. If you are low on system ram or processing power then this kind of issue happens. Also check on your cpu cabinet about the orange hard drive light. If remains on constantly while scanning then it means the antivirus is taking too much system resource in scanning your system. The file on which it is stucked can be a large size or corrupt files. So the antivirus just stucked on that. You will then need to find the associated application or file which is causing the mess and delete it. I think that will be more than enough to fix the issue. Just go in the error log where you can find a set of helpful information which will be more better in dealing with the problem.

Just update the antivirus and check back. If that does not work then you can simply re-install it back. That will be more than enough to fix the issue. Sometime due to damage system files the antivirus gets unstable and gives this kind of issue. Re-installation is capable of fixing back the issue.