Thread: How to block a pc on lan network

How to block a pc on lan network

I am having around 15 pc on my network connected to a windows server. I need some help to block 4 pc from the lan. All the systems are connected with identical settings. There are some shared storage server which is accessible to all. 4 PC will be set only for the outsiders. So I do not want them to access my internal files. That is why I want to block it on the lan. I need some way to do this easily. I had tried some third party software but that did not worked.

Re: How to block a pc on lan network

Just modify the work-group of those system. That's all. Just change the work-group of those 4 pc and then test back. I am sure that is enough. When you change the work-group all permission of those users are wiped out. In this way you can simply keep them away from the other users on the network. There are some permission settings that you can try out and configure it as per your need. But that can be a bit complicated so you can simply avoid the same.

If you are having Active Directory on your server then through that you can do the same. You can simply create a group of users which are having minimum permission on your lan network. You can keep those user ids configure on those extra pc which are kept for users. It is really simple. The permission settings are easy to manage through AD and you said that you are having Windows Server configured on your lan network. I am giving you a link that can give you more information using AD.

Active Directory

Just deny the sharing permission on the network and then test back. I am sure that will be quiet enough for you to block the folder access. It is not really complicated. Just go in the folder sharing permission and there you can simply configure the permission settings. You can simply add the users on the basis of sharing and deny access to them. There is a third party tool available on the web through which you can manage the permission of shared folders.