Thread: McAfee will stop running and goes to sleep, please help

McAfee will stop running and goes to sleep, please help

Hello, I have installed Windows 7 on my computer and am also running McAfee Antivirus on it. I did an upgrade from Windows XP that was running this antivirus without any problems. But in Windows 7 McAfee stops responding and it will simply go to sleep. I didnt have this issue on XP. So, I was wondering if there is any setting that needs to be tweaked in order to run it fine in Windows 7. The problem is that the virus scan will also stop its scheduled scan? Can anyone please help me out? Thanks.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Re: McAfee will stop running and goes to sleep, please help

Which version you used to run McAfee on Windows Xp? Can you tell us what time you used between the sleep scan when the problem stated to occur? I did found out something that it must not run when the hibernate mode is is used on the computer. Have you tweaked with some bios wakeup settings, that has anything to do with it?

It could be a problem with the automatic hibernate and sleep function used in your pc, so try to prevent it by following the below method:

1. Open Power Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.
    2. On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings next to the selected plan.
    3. On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.
    4. On the Advanced settings tab, double-click Sleep, double-click Sleep after, and then do one of the following:
      If you're using a laptop, click On battery or Plugged in (or both), click the arrow, and then click Never.
      If you're using a desktop computer, click Setting, click the arrow, and then click Never.
    5. Double-click Hibernate after, and then do one of the following:
      If you're using a laptop, click On battery or Plugged in (or both), click the arrow, and then click Never.
      If you're using a desktop computer, click Setting, click the arrow, and then click Never.
    6. If you also want the display to stay turned on, double-click Display, double-click Turn off display after, and then do one of the following:
    7. Click OK, and then click Save changes.

More information can be found here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...sked-questions

I dont think that sleep mode is going to effect any kind of scan, but the Hybrid sleep could effect a scan. So to turn it off, follow the below steps:
    1. First of all right click on your desktop and then select personalize
    2. After that you need to click on the screensaver link on the bottom right you have to uncheck the box to go to the login screen on wake up
    3. After that click on Change Power settings and then click on change when to turn off the display
    4. Now you have to click the down arrow in the Plugged in column, and Turn off display
    5. Lastly you need to click on Never and Hybrid sleep will not be active when the computer is plugged in.

After some searching on the net, I found out that it is a very common problem which is faced by many people who are using this antivirus product. There was something told about this issue, like in standby or sleep mode the antivirus will still protect the computer but it will not be able to run the scheduled scan since the hard drive is powered down in this mode and hence the program is not able to access its necessary features. So, there should be some feature implementation required by the antivirus software that can fullfil this issue, only in the near future we can see if it gets available.