Thread: How to get rid of “Add people you know" from Facebook

How to get rid of “Add people you know" from Facebook

Is there a way by which I can get rid of “Add people you know" in Facebook??? I have gone through all the internal settings but I don’t see any option for disabling it or removing it. I want to get rid of it because as soon as I login I am presented with the same. It lists the people I don’t want to add, I don’t want to see their faces again and again. Just let me know if there is anything I can try out for getting rid of it

Re: How to get rid of “Add people you know" from Facebook

If you are using Firefox then you can install Adblock Plus. First of all it will let you get rid of the useless advertisement that you see when you visit any site and on the other hand it helps to block any website element, including Facebook widgets. You just have to install Adblock Plus in Firefox and follow below simple steps to get rid of "People You May Know!"
    • Click on "Firefox" menu button and select "Add-ons."
    • Select "Extensions" tab, click on "Preferences" for the "Adblock Plus" entry
    • Click on "Add Filter" and enter "www.facebook.com##div[class="ego_section"]" and hit enter
    • Click on "Apply" and "OK" for saving the changes, close AdBlock preferences and you are done.

Adblock Plus works with chrome as well. In case you are using Google chrome then you can refer below steps:
    In Customize AdBlock tab under heading section click on ‘Block more ads:’
    Click on ‘Hide a section of a webpage’. You will get two options, one will be for ‘Domain of page to apply on’ and the other will be ‘CSS to match’
    So from the domain enter www.facebook.com and for the CSS enter div [class="ego_section"] and click on Block it! And you are done.

I use Mozilla Firefox and I don’t see the options that you have mentioned. Is it for version 17.0.1?? I have installed Adblock Plus 2.2.1. These are the options I have for it. I don’t see Preferences option anywhere. Am I missing out anything???

I am not able to make out the same thing in chrome as well. This is what I see.
    http://i49.tinypic.com/19bhf.jpg

Where exactly I can get the “Customize AdBlock tab”? Where is the ‘Block more ads:’ options??? Can you put more light on the steps?? I guess the step you have mentioned above is for different version of chrome.

i don't think that the "add friends you know" is considered as a ad which is why it is so hard to configure adblock plus to block them Because it is not considered as a ad

I don’t think that’s possible, I have both Firefox and Google chrome installed. I have installed Adblock Plus extension in both of them but even I don’t see any relevant settings to carry out the steps mentioned above. I have cross checked many sites and I see the same steps, I guess they are too old to work with latest version of Firefox, Google and AdBlock extension.
    Currently I have to click on home button to get rid of “Add people you know" section after logging in. However, I like to know if there is another workaround to get rid of it permanently.

Did any of you found a way out??? Even I want to get rid of the “Add people you know" section. I don’t have many issues with it as it disappears as soon as o click on Home after logging in but I really don’t need it. I can check out for my friends myself when required. I really don’t need any kind of suggestions from Facebook. I see many people asking for the same rights but it seems as if Facebook doesn’t have any interest in things that are reported to it. I really wish if they could come up with customization feature where we can have what we want to have on our page.

doubt they will they're greedy they won't likely do it

Yeah that would be quite interesting. At least some one could come up with some kind of extension, so that we can install it and get rid of Facebook suggestions. I also want to add that I don’t get the same thing on my old id. It comes up only for the new id where I have few friends. I think there is some kind of limitation criteria. Say if you have more than 100 friends, then you won’t get “Add people you know". If you have less than that, then it will come up as soon as you login. I am not sure but I think it works in that way.

Re: Solved - How to get rid of “Add people you know" from Facebook

It can be done quickly and without difficulty in Windows. You just need to create an Icon once as set out below.

1. Log into Facebook, then select your profile page.

2. Copy the URL that relates to that page, it will start 'hpps' and have your name towards the end.

3. Right click on an empty part of Windows Explorer and select New - Shortcut

4. In the 'Type location of the item' box paste the address above, click 'Next'
    then enter a name for the shortcut, eg 'Facebook'.

5. The shortcut will appear as an Icon on your Explorer page.

6. In future access Facebook using this Icon.

7. If you are not logged in a page will open stating "This content is currently unavailable'. Just enter your email address and password in the boxes, and press the Return key.

Facebook will now always open at your Profile Page, and bypass 'Add people you know'

'Simples', LOL

Hey marlbrook.

I may just try it

I use both linux and windows.

Any suggestions for my linux computer????

Will try ur suggestion on my windows comp for sure.

Will ge back to u if it works for me or not

snacdaws,

Its the same way you do it in Windows as written in the post by "marlbrook". Just open the browser and do what is told in the steps and you are good to go on.

so are the steps the same????

will try it anyway and will get back

btw i haven't had time to try the windows way yet