Thread: Avast antivirus says "Some files could not be scanned"

Avast antivirus says "Some files could not be scanned"

I have installed latest version of Avast free antivirus but after running a quick scan I got scan completed message saying "Some files could not be scanned". I have checked out that file and it’s related to adobe flashplayer. Any idea why avast says that for flashplayer files?? It seems as if there is something wrong with avast to me but I am not that sure about the same. Has anyone else faced the same error message???

Re: Avast antivirus says "Some files could not be scanned"

Yes I have, you don’t need to worry about the same. I don’t know what cause that error message to come up but I am sure that it won’t make any difference. It says that every time after I run through scan for some files. I have been ignoring it by now and I haven’t run in to any issue by now.
    If PrAcTiCe MaKeS pErFeCt AnD nObOdY iS pErFeCt WhY pRaTiCe...ThAtS wHaT pEoPlE mAkE hAcKs FoR

Yeah that’s normal even I get that message quite frequently. I don’t think it’s because of some problem. It comes up with different files every time in my case. I never made a research to find out the cause of the message. However, I will like to know if it is because of some mess. I have asked about this to my friends as I thought those some files to be suspicious/infected but then they said that files that cannot be scanned doesn’t mean they are suspicious/infected. They have been using avast quite a long time before me and they said its normal until it comes up with that message for a couple of files.

That’s the reason I have uninstalled avast in my case and have switched to AVG. Some weeks ago even I was trying to find an answer for "Some files could not be scanned" message. Almost everyone said that it’s normal. I agreed but no explained me why.
    If it’s saying "Some files could not be scanned" then there is surely something wrong with the file, at least I feel that. AVG doesn’t say’s anything like that for any files. I don’t mind getting that message but it should give some more information with it, I mean the reason why it is not able to scan those files. By now I have gone through many forums but I haven’t come across an effective explanation for that message. In case anyone has a reason for the same then please let me know as well.

Guys I don’t use avast but I have checked about the above message and have found some experts saying that they are temporary files. Not sure if they actually are.

No way, they are not temp files, I have checked out those files. In case if they were temp files then avast would have come up with 100 of files. I clear my temp files on weekly basis and until then 100 of files sit in my temp folder but avast come up that message for a couple of files only. As I have mentioned it doesn’t even come up with a single file with that message when I carry quick scan.

In my case it comes up with that message for files related to adobe/images only. Below are the extensions that I see in the list, it comes up with a couple of them every time I carry out scan.
    .js - Primary association: JavaScript
    .png - Primary association: Portable (Public) Network Graphic
    .css - Primary association: Hypertext Cascading Style Sheet
    Avast suggest me to move these files to the chest and I have been doing the same by now. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling avast but that’s not making any difference in my case.

Well I have an answer for that message, they are not temporary files but they are protected files. There are many windows application that have some files protected because of which antivirus’s fail to scan them. Avast comes up with "Some files could not be scanned" for such files where as some antivirus’s just skip this files without providing any information to the user. If you get the same message frequently while scanning your system then you have 2 option, either you can ignore it or else switch to some other antivirus. That’s all I can say for now, I am using Avast from more than a year and I am well satisfied with it, if you don’t think you are then follow my second option.