Thread: Is it possible to share wifi network via Lan??

Is it possible to share wifi network via Lan??

I want to know if it is possible to share wifi network via Lan. In my case I don’t have internet connection at my place but my laptop supports wifi and I can connect to my neighbor’s wifi network. I guess he has not yet set up the wep key. I have been accessing internet after connecting to his wifi network since a week and I want to know if I can share the same network through lan???
    Other than the laptop I have an old system but it doesn’t supports wlan as it doesn’t have a wlan adapter. So I was thinking of accessing wifi on my laptop via my computer by connecting it to my laptop using RG45 cable.

Re: Is it possible to share wifi network via Lan??

I don’t think that would work, I haven’t tried doing that in my case. Well I will try out the same experiment accessing my home network and will let you know if that’s possible.

Even I think the same. You can create your laptop as WIFI hotspot and share internet with other devices that support wifi. However a system that doesn’t support wifi cannot share internet after having a wired connection with your laptop. I haven’t come across anyone who has got success in that. Some people had tried that out and had mentioned that there were getting some errors like “An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.”
    This is a figment of your imagination.

I think it should be possible but I am not so sure about that. As far as I am aware if your laptop is running Windows XP than you can create a Bridge between wireless and Ethernet connections or enable Internet Connection Sharing on the Wireless adapter.

For creating a bridge go to Network Connections, select both connections, right click and select “Bridge Connections.” Once network Bridge gets created your computer will get DHCP/Internet Address from the isp provider as if your laptop doesn’t exist. On the other hand you will eb able to access internet as usual via Bridged device.

For enabling Internet Connection Sharing, go to Network Connections, right click on Wireless connection, select properties, click on Advanced and click on Internet Connection Sharing. Just make sure that you are unchecking 'Allow Network Users to turn this Connection on and off' option.
    Break it-So we can Fix It

It won’t work like that. You will have use a router and regular RG45 cables for making the above condition true.

So you want me to buy a router for sharing wifi network which is not even mine
    Ill better stick to my laptop for accessing my neighbors wifi, i just wanted to know all possible answers for my question but it seems as its not possible.