Thread: Spybot update gives warning "Please select some update files from the list first."

Spybot update gives warning "Please select some update files from the list first."

Recently I have installed latest version of Spybot and I did not had any issue with its installation but today when I tried using "Search for update" feature then I got a warning message saying "Please select some update files from the list first.", here is a snapshot of it.

Is there any things I can do from my side to get rid of this warning message and install the updated without any further issue?

Re: Spybot update gives warning "Please select some update files from the list first."

I am getting same error message, in my case I have installed latest version of Spybot in my system running on windows 7. It seems as if this is a bug in Spybot, I have tried using automatic as well as manual update but I am getting the same error message. Even though it says "Please select some update files from the list first", I don’t see any list for any selected updates. I don’t know what’s wrong with it, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spybot but still no luck, has anyone managed to get this solved?

Re: Spybot update gives warning "Please select some update files from the list first."

While checking out for your issue I have come across others who had encountered same error message, they had done below thing for fixing it.
    • Right click on Spybot-Search&Destroy desktop icon > select properties
    • Now in properties window, click on compatibility tab, in below drop down menu there will be some compatibility mode options
    • You can select "Windows XP", make sure that you are saving the changes you have made before closing properties window.
    • Once you are done, you can launch Spybot and it should work fine from now.

If you don’t get any help from this solution then let me know, I will try to help you with other possible tricks.

I have found that there is some kind of compatibility issue with spybot and Windows Vista/Windows 7 and in order to fix it you can follow the below steps:
    • Download SDUpdate.exe from here and extract this downloaded archive into C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\ for replacing old file with the new one.
    • If at all that doesn’t makes any difference for you then you can try running it in compatibility mode of Windows XP as suggested by Suri Paaji. One of these solutions should surely help you out, best of luck.

Which version of Spybot Search and Destroy you are having installed? I have come across people facing this issue with 1.6.2 mostly. Some have mentioned that this issue has been fixed in 2.0. So if you haven’t tried 2.0 then give it a try and let me know if that’s helping you both.