Thread: help with expanding wired network

help with expanding wired network

Inherited a wired network consisting of a cable modem, router, hub, server and several desktops on the first floor. I need to expand the LAN to the 2nd floor and will run CAT cable. Where do I make the connection with the CAT cable on the first floor, to the router, hub, or something else and what equipment (other than desktops) do I need on the 2nd floor to have the desktops (3) there to be part of the existing network. Please be specific in your reply and thanks in advance for any help.

Re: help with expanding wired network

You have to first unplug all the network cable from the router and then connect it to a switch. After that get another network cable and use it to connect the router to the switch. After that plug the power into the switch and then connect it to the computers to get access to the internet. So basically, you will need an modem, router, and switch kind of network boxes to accomplish the job.

I'm confused. Will you define which equipment should be on the 2nd floor?

You will just require a long cable to connect to other pc's on the second floor. You can also place modem, switch and router on the second floor if you need, or place it all on first floor and then use a long cabling wire to connect to all the computers via the switch and the router. Hope that helps you out.

Appreciate your patience but I still don't have it. I prefer to leave the existing modem, router, and hub on the first floor because there are several computers on that floor. When I pull the new cable to the 2nd floor, what equipment to I need to hook up more than one PC on the 2nd floor. For example do I need another router or switch. Also what equipment do I connect the end of the long cable on the the first floor. Thanks again.

You can make a plugin (box type) for the RJ45 cables at the side of the computer tables, this box type will be directly connected to the main switches. Simply use another small rj45 wire to connect its one end to the computer and the other to the box, that you should place at the side of your computer table.

Thanks you.