Thread: All USB folders disappeared after using it on a infected pc

All USB folders disappeared after using it on a infected pc

I dont know what is wrong with my USB drive. I am having a 8GB HP usb drive filled with softwares and few videos upto 7GB. One of my friend was in need of some applications on his PC hence i connected my usb drive on his PC, transferred the files and removed it back. Now when i connect my USB drive on my own PC i can not see any of my folders in there . But when am checking the properties, it is showing me that still 7GB space is occupied but it is not showing up. I can only see few excel files that was kept outside folders. All my folders are disappeared. Strange thing is that my system's antivirus is not detecting any virus as well from usb drive. What should i do ? Please help.

Re: All USB folders disappeared after using it on a infected pc

I have been through exact same situation, and that means your usb drive is infected too with a virus. i dont know why antivirus wont detect any threat in such cases (same happened to me) but all files disappears and usb space seems consumed. Anyways, if you want to recover your files, you will need to use Opera's file manager. Yeah, there you can see your all folders and files and you will need to download each and every one of them manually.

Just launch Opera and type your device letter in the address bar, for example, F: or file://localhost/f:. This will display your every files and folder that you cannot see in the Windows Explorer. download them manually (this will not consume your internet bandwith) and save them in a folder on desktop or any partition. Format your USB drive and Remember to scan this downloaded folder after downloading and before transferring to your usb drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Maq.h View Post
    Just launch Opera and type your device letter in the address bar, for example, F: or file://localhost/f:. This will display your every files and folder that you cannot see in the Windows Explorer. download them manually (this will not consume your internet bandwith) and save them in a folder on desktop or any partition. Format your USB drive and Remember to scan this downloaded folder after downloading and before transferring to your usb drive.
    Dont know whats wrong with my system. As you stated, i recovered all my 7GB data, One by one, that took me more than a day. Somehow, i got my each and every file safely. I formated my pendrive, moved all my data and was happy with the same.

Now, after 2 weeks again my drive got affected and many of these files are now just disappeared. I dont know how and why. So i need your help again. I know we can recover the file with the above process but i said it took me more than a day, is there any other way ? I mean, Shorter and easier way ? Please help.

File disappears doesn’t means that the files are deleted. They are actually hidden by the viruses. There are few ways using which you can make them visible again.

First, just open windows explorer, go to Folder Options, View Tab and check mark ‘show hidden files and folders’. This is just to show hidden files, but note that your files are Super hidden by virus, hence you also need to remove the check mark from the option “Hide extensions of known file types” as well as “Hide protected operating system files”.

Second option is to simply run the command prompt with Administrator rights. And type the following in command prompt:

Type your drive letter and press enter. In my case it is F, and after pressing Enter type the command below:
    f:
    attrib -h -s -r -a * /s /d

This will unhide all your files. Now you see how you want to recover but remember that don’t double click on of these files. If you do so, virus will be spread all over your system and can damage your files as well.