Thread: What are security add-ons on Windows Server 2012

What are security add-ons on Windows Server 2012

Windows Server 2021 RC is out in the market. I found the link to download the RC version. I had seen a short description of same on Wikipedia which said that the server actually owns interface of Windows 8. It looks Microsoft is quiet serious in modifying the OS interface and giving a completely new look to it. The RC download is available on official website. But before that I want to know what are the security addon provides in new edition. Microsoft must have implemented some new stuff to make Windows Server more secure and better.

Re: What are security add-ons on Windows Server 2012

The interface is quiet modified to make it look like windows 8. But don't you think that will use up more server resources. I was going through Microsoft site to find the security enhancement in it. What Microsoft did is made server virtually available everywhere. Means this time you are not just limited to your desktop to view your server details. The environment on the same is protected properly so that none of your information gets leaked. Because this is the most common issue which many data center worry about. Microsoft had done quiet a good job in providing some internal security applications that can give you more secure and tension free environment.

For that you have to test that on your own. I came to know that data encryption is more powerful here. Your data stays protected under all conditions. Along with this Microsoft added support for more devices in Windows server. If we talk about Active Directory then there are changes that can help you to protect this more properly. For example deployment of more recent security policies that are not present in older version. The official site states some kind of tagging data service. By this you can tag the important data and imply more appropriate server policies on them.

That looks better. It seem that Microsoft is going to bring Windows server a stage ahead to meet the need of data centers. This the Cloud era where companies are shifting to cloud computing very frequently. Data protection on the same hand is major concern.

Microsoft Server 2012 also has rich audit features by which you can get detailed report and analysis anything happened to your data. It helps you to protect your network more properly. Along with this the AD rights management service helps you to access and control the users more properly. Data encryption is another important feature of Windows Server 2012. This is somewhat not so reliable in older version. Because many of you do not really go for the encryption service if you are not 100% sure. Here the same is made more easy. You can simply apply a policy on the content and encrypt the same. Along with new features care has been taken that users does not get much confused about using it. The interface is simple and to the point. You can access important apps on screen. This can be another server rich operating system coming out soon.

For medium business Windows Server 2012 provides quiet rich features. One which is encryption. By the data transfers from one place to other securely. You do not need to worry about any hacks and attacks.

Here is the list of things that I found from technet.microsoft.com. If you need more detail click on the link to find what features are provided by each of those tools listed below.

• Access Control
    • AppLocker
    • BitLocker
    • Encrypted Hard Drive
    • Group Managed Service Accounts
    • Kerberos
    • NTLM
    • Passwords
    • Security Auditing
    • Security Configuration Wizard
    • Security Policy Settings
    • Smart Cards
    • Software Restriction Policies
    • TLS/SSL (Schannel SSP)
    • Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
    • Windows Authentication and Logon
    • Windows Biometric Framework

That is quiet good feature list. It looks that Windows Server 2012 is more enhanced security point of you. You do not need to get worried about more vulnerabilities now. I was reading a bit about Access Control. This can help use to find out a proper authentication method. Yet Windows Server deal with the regular authentication procedure where a user gets in with assigned id and password.

But now the authentication can be determined on the basis of permission provided to him to get files from server. One of the important thing to manage properly is shared files on server. If there are large number of users worldwide you need time to control and manage shared resources well. This a vast category. There are many things added in this. The enhancement helps you to protect more amount files and folders. Bitlocker is also provided in older version but I had notice that it reduces the hard drive performance. I had locked a drive with this and the user complained that the data download is limited.

I hope the new version has better management for this. I prefer to encrypt my data on the network storage. Applocker is another frequently used application. The information that I got on this says that this time Applocker will help you to protect malwares. Some apps in your system if installed you can block its access to other file system. It can easily help you to control users software installation.

I think by testing that we can figure out what it has and what not. But one thing that Microsoft did is modified the operating system interface. Is there any specific reason behind that. Does Microsoft is planing to provide the same support on tablets or touch interface.

Windows Server 2012 will surely bring something new. Only the upgraded interface is not everything a user wants. There are other more things that must be taken into consideration. Like the performance. For large network it is important that admins keep a track of incoming and outgoing traffic. It is not complicated but by simple built in apps this became more easier. Hypver-V too has better support for security concern. It can protected your virtual network same same as you protect the physical one. Windows Server 2008 was with many limitation that are overcome in this new version.

That looks far better. Anyhow admins are bored with same old interface and this time Windows Server 2012 can give them a different type of option to work on large n