Thread: wifi download speed is slow with WAG160n ADSL2+

wifi download speed is slow with WAG160n ADSL2+

I have set up WAG160n ADSL2+ at my place and have installed it without any issues but now I have found that wifi download speed is far slow. I am not having any issues with the wired connection, the issue is just with the wifi and that too with the download and not upload. My isp provides me 20Mb/sec for download where as 1Mb/sec for upload. As I have mentioned the upload it just fine but there is something wrong with the download part, it is just 3-5 Mb/sec. I did not had this issue previously. Can this be an issue with the router?? I yes, than is there any solution that I can try out to solve out the same??

Re: wifi download speed is slow with WAG160n ADSL2+

I just wanted to know that have you tried contacting your isp and asking him about the same?? If you don’t think there is something wrong from the isp side then you can try updating the firmware of your router and see if you are getting better download speed after that. Just make sure that after updating the firmware you are resetting the router as recommended to update it successfully. Just give it a try and let me know what you get for further help.

In that case I will like to inform you that I have contacted my isp and have addressed them whole issue but they have said that there is nothing wrong from their side. They have other clients using the same connection and have not yet complained about anything like that. Like I have said I did not had any issue like this before and I can trust my isp for what they have said. I have updated the firmware to the latest as well but that’s not making any difference in my case. I think there is something wrong with the router but I will like to know if there is anything else that I can try out to confirm that. Further help regarding this issue will be highly appreciated.

If there is nothing wrong from the isp side then there is surely something wrong with the router. What is confusing me here is that you are getting normal upload speed and not download. As far as I am aware if there would have been any issue with the router than both download and upload speed should have got affected. Anyways if you want then you can try out changing advanced wireless settings as below:
    • Beacon Interval – 75
    • RTS threshold – 2307
    • Fragmentation threshold – 2306

You can change this setting by opening router page> wireless tab> Advanced wireless settings sub tab. Just make sure that you are saving the settings before closing the tab and power cycling the router as well. I am not sure if these settings will make any difference in your case but you can give it a try in such condition. Best of luck.

See if you think there is something wrong with the router but you need confirmation then you will have to test out your isp connection with some other working router, I think that will be a better idea. You can also try out changing Beacon Interval, RTS threshold, Fragmentation threshold as well as MTU size and check out if you are getting luck with it.

I think you guys were right, there is something wrong with the router. I have confirmed the same by testing out the connection with my neighbor’s router, with his router I am getting 13-15 Mb/sec download speed and 1 mb/ sec upload speed. I have also tried changing Beacon Interval, RTS threshold, Fragmentation threshold as well as MTU size with the suggested and possible settings but changing them was not making any difference. Anyways I will get my WAG160n ADSL2+ replaced tomorrow and will hope not to face the same issue again.