Thread: Frequently Enabling & Disabling GPO settings Windows Server

Frequently Enabling & Disabling GPO settings Windows Server

Will it create a issue if I enable and disable GPO settings on Windows Server. Because of some anonymous users I have to make changes in the GPO settings. So I want to know that will there be any consequences for that or I can do those changes. I have to add and remove users frequently. Also I have to change the permission settings on the basis of users on the network. Till yet I had not faced any issue related to any user changes.

Re: Frequently Enabling & Disabling GPO settings Windows Server

That does not matter really. You can make any changes as per your need. You can do until your server does not pops out any kind of error. All you need to do is keep a track of what changes you are making in your system. The changes that mostly do not create any issue is configuring the snap-in of gpo, managing a different number of gpo objects. Making changes in the security groups of gpo and linking different gpo's with each other. What I do not recommend to do is making changes in the registry. There are certain policies which are implemented via registry changes. Some scripts are also use there. So if you play with those there are chances that you will face errors. Other than this whatever I mentioned above is quiet fine. What mostly people does is manage the privileges given to users. There are some task you can create in gpo. By this when a new user is added the task wil grant all needed permission automatically to it. So the manual process of providing rights is removed and your time is saved. Permission is one thing that is the more frequently used stuff on gpo.

What I did in my case is setup the server and configure gpo. I had backup all the settings. Like you I do not require to make frequent changes, so for me it is not a issue. But if there are requirements to make regular changes then it is needed that you keep a list of things. Like all the settings written on a paper. This can be then handled by anyone.

Better do one thing. As mentioned in the first create automated task. This automated task will give you option to provide access as per user group. For example if you have to change admins then this can help you. Here all rights of admin will be granted. Go in Group Policy Management Console and then click on the domain. In that choose your active domain and then click on GPO. Here under delegation tab you can assign the user admin rights. But if you want to give regular right then the process is bit different. Here under delegation you will need to specify permission manually to each individual. At this moment the best way to manage is by creating a group. You can directly move the user under that group and done. The user can have all those rights which is assigned to that group. I will not recommend you to play with any other settings if you want your domain function properly. The Delegation tab is the only place where you must make changes and leave the other as they are.

According to me you can work blindly on that. Make changes as per your need. But just have a backup of your gpo settings. So that if you face issue you can restore the more recent backup and make it work properly.

What I know that GPO is essential part of Active Directory and it is responsible to manage your user accounts. So first thing you can do that create a desktop shortcut. This will be easy to access. Second you must have appropriate documentation of user, their rights, groups, domains, etc. You must not mix people in single group. Like there are people who will be under operators group or under security group. They must separately divided so that no one can misuse their rights. GPO is applied at the domain level. For a centralized server it would be complicated to make changes frequently. You can keep some system in your network will full rights. They must not have rights to company data but do not come under the domain or network. So that some users their can work freely basis on their requirement. Strictly controlling everything is not quiet recommended in my views. Whatever settings that you do are stored in group policy objects. If there are more domains on the network the same settings are then replicated. That is the reason if you make any important changes then that is going to affect all domains.

It depends on your need what changes you want. Like controlling the software installation or accessing the files. If there are too much frequent visitors in your office then you can keep a anonymous group separately with minimum rights.