Thread: Want some help to configure LAN settings for WSUS

Want some help to configure LAN settings for WSUS

Want some help to configure WSUS lan. My recent settings are changed and the guy who fix this all in on leave. I need some easy steps by which can I reconfigure this server over network. I had did some basic in windows network. But as a intern I cannot test much here. I tried to watch certain videos and got a basic idea of simple configuration. But still I need some written steps from expert who can guide me to configure this back on the network. The service has stopped working and from last couple days. I am sure that once this is configured back again, it might take more bandwidth to update all the systems. If I waste more time then this will keep on increasing. Any suggestion on the same will be appreciated.

Re: Want some help to configure LAN settings for WSUS

When you said network configuration that means WSUS is installed in your system. You have to do settings for network configuration. There is a network wizard which can help you to set the connection automatically. You can run that from WSUS console. Even if you are novice here then you do not need to worry about improper settings. One thing you need to ensure before doing changes in WSUS lan configuration, is that your Firewall must allow it proper access. Second your computer must be connected to the system which is responsible for Microsoft Update. Last thing if there is any kind of proxy thing then keep a note of all settings. Once WSUS is installed in your system is configure itself automatically for updates. It setup the location for Windows update and the same is downloaded automatically. The issue only arises when there is any proxy server in the network. Because at that time you have to provide all proxy information on WSUS console. Also I am sure that firewall is not configured to allow access to WSUS. For this you will need to open port 80 and port 443.

As you said that the guy who works on this is on leave. So the best thing that I can tell you is run updates manually. Because I am sure there will be certain settings if done improperly can affect your network. If you do not have a very large network then you can simply download updates and run the setup via remote connectivity. This will also reduce the download size for future.

I have some steps by which you can configure the server for collecting updates. For that first you need to launch configuration wizard. Once done you have to then click on upstream server. At this point you just need to click on synchronize that's all. The updates are configured automatically. But if there is different WSUS server in the network then you will need to provide information on the server name and the port that is needed. The port is the only way by which client system can communicate with upstream server. You just need to click on synchronize and done. Your systems will be updated. Now there are more settings which can make this process complicated. Like SSL. Some server share configured or syn via SSL. The settings are different for this. There are certain helpful articles on Microsoft website which can guide you for the same.

Why don't you try SUS 3.0 Configuration Wizard. This is one of the easiest way I can suggest you. I had provided a link below which in-detail information related to configuration of WSUS server. You can check in each and every topic one by one and find appropriate solution on the same.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

Click on Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Windows Server Update Services. Run this, and you can see WSUS config wizard. Just keep adding the required information in this and you are done. If you are admin then you do not need to worry about configuration of all services. Another important thing lies pending is providing the update source. This update source provides new Windows update to system. For that in Console on the left side click on update source. On screen you can see a box which will ask for update sour and proxy. Under update source add the server location. I will recommend you here to set the synchronization on default. So that in future this can be done automatically and you do not need to play with the settings again and again. Once you are done the last thing lies which is also mention above is port. You will require to give a open port to the service so that every time the system can receive updates. Keep all synchronization on default mode. Those settings are quit recommended and best. If you have proxy then click on proxy and provide information.

Once you had properly added a upstream server then your job is done. This is the place where I was also stucked and not able to work properly. Upstream server source is the place from where the system collect updates and if this is not properly provided your system remains un-updated.

There are certain practices that needed to be followed. Like first it is recommended that you must use SSL so that your updates are not affected due to security issue. Anyhow if WSUS is configured from server to server then SSL is necessary to configure. Using SSL secure your updates and system remains far more secure from regular wen threats. Second if you found using SSL more complicated then it is recommend to use IPSec. This can be done on software and hardware level both. But on hardware level your system is more secure. You can configure the same in your router through Windows Sever. Many time updates are affected due to firewall. Check once that your existing settings are not blocked because of which updates are affected, before going for new configuration. The last thing that I want tell you to check is file permission. The permission should be deployed properly so that updates can be execute properly.

You forgot to mention about the disk space. This one of the important factor that is needed. Because last time in my server the disk space was full because of which new update stopped working. Do not forget to assign or keep empty space.

Ample of time when the updates are downloaded and installed the client system on the other ends needs to be restarted or else the update does not work properly. So here because of this I had notice that my server and client updates are not properly matched. First you must allow your server to download update. But the installation must be scheduled at a prescribe time only. Because of which a number of time the server is unstable. I keep the installation time scheduled once in a week. Like on the end of week in late evening. The updates are installed automatically and when the user turns it on after his off it gets properly synchronized. This is one thing that is usually ignored in many places but really a very important part to be configure.