Thread: Linkstation Duo LS-WX2 0TL/R1 freezing and wont shut down

Linkstation Duo LS-WX2 0TL/R1 freezing and wont shut down

There is a Home network which I have configured a year ago. The home network has both wired and wireless connection depending on my needs. It has a Main server system, 2 laptops, Xbox 360, 2 smartphones and a HD Smart TV. I have upgraded collection of data and multimedia contents For that reason I bought Linkstation Duo LS-WX2 0TL/R1 NAS system. The Firmware Version was 1.26.

The configuration was successful over my existing network and it worked fine for the first day. I was able to access the data from both LAN and internet. But next day I ran into a problem. Linkstation started freezing and stopped functioning. Even I cannot shut down the device systematically. I have opened the web-tool but there were no error messages. I tried re-configuring but still not able to solved it. Any solution?

Re: Linkstation Duo LS-WX2 0TL/R1 freezing and wont shut down

I have heard that the Linkstation duo will going to get a new version of firmware for all NAS systems and it is v1.37. The update should contain several bug fixes and improvements over data storage and network connectivity. I hope that it will fix this issue also. You should regularly visit the official website in order to get the firmware. WE don’t have an exact date of release. Meanwhile you can try re-flashing with the same version Firmware but this is not recommended unless if you have good documentation about how to do it.

But if you reside in Europe, you can look forward for the DTCP update. Connect the Linkstation Duo to the internet. Now open the web-tools and go to extensions -> media server -> update DTCP.

I am aware of such conditions because I have installed Buffalo LinkStation Duo drives. So far many customers recommended this product due to the choice of best value of money and the good product on the NAS market. The installation procedure for this NAS is very easy as well as the setup. The RAID-1 (mirror) can be used as a backup system. But it didn’t work well with DLNA and media related setups.
    Pro's are :-
    • Affordable price
    • Very Easy to configure
    • Small form factor
    • Removable drives which can be replaced easily by the user itself.
    • Gigabit network interface for faster internet or network connectivity.
    • Drives can be accessed remotely.

Con's are: -
    • Nova backup software that ships with it contains full of bugs, limited licenses and low level configuration options
    • Does not a good documentation for troubleshooting and all.
    • Should need a better Backup solution.

I am also looking for the solution for somewhat same issue. I own a Linkstation Duo LS-WX2.0TL/R1 v1.34. It was a stock installed firmware and later I didn’t go for the update. I have configured the static IP and DHCP with static assignment in my router. But still the data access causing lag and freeze. I cannot stay connected to the Linkstation Duo more than 15 minutes. It drops the connection automatically. The issue can be noticed clearly when I play some music or video file directly from the NAS. If the ping the device using IP address, but unit does not respond at all. The Off/On switch also not doing anything.

Whenever you configure the Linkstation Duo LS-WX2 0TL/R1 NAS system, make sure that you are setting everything in order. Otherwise you will surely get into trouble. At first you should test the Linkstation by directly connecting to a computer or laptop. Wireless is not the best choice for this system. It is just about my experience because I have found effective and un-disruptive data transfer with wired connection. That’s why I always recommend wired connection from the Linkstation to the network. After connecting to a PC, remove all partitions. You can either do it in Windows using Diskpart. After that use acp-comander which will show ACP_STATE as OK. Next thing is formatting. You can accomplish this using LinkstationUpdater in debug.

I dont think that someone will get issue with such a good product. You may find it little difficult to set it at start up but it will get quick. You can ask help from Buffalo support if you stuck in any condition. In my case, the problem was due to the blocking port. Buffalo NAS uses port 9000 for connectivity but due to some reason it was blocked on the router. I wasn’t aware about that. I had gone through several troubleshooting process and finally I manually allowed the port on my router. Now it is working fine without any issue. Actually it was blocking the access to NAS from outside network. I am happy that it solved now without the need to Firmware update.