Thread: Looking for some solution on DPM 2010 disc allocation

Looking for some solution on DPM 2010 disc allocation

Hello friends, I am having the DPM 2010 which is configured with Exchange 2010, such that it is having 14 databases in DAG and also having the 3 TB of hard disk which is working very much fine. But from past few days hard disk is showing error to me, such that it telling that Replica Disk Threshold exceeded, so I was thinking that 3 TB is not enough for it so added one more 3 TB hard disk to DPM server after which the disk size is 6 TB. But the problem is that second hard disk which I have connected it is shown as unallocated size, do not know what is the problem with it? Does anyone knows anything then please do tell me. Thank you.

Re: Looking for some solution on DPM 2010 disc allocation

When you create a protection group, in the wizard to check the selection step of disk space, you can manually set the size of the replica volumes and recovery points for the protected resource. Given the unpretentious space requirement calculation algorithms used DPM; recommend that you always focus on this step. So, when you click Edit you will able to get it. Reduce the relevant boxes on the appetites of DPM disk pool, going through all steps of the wizard and finish creating the group you are, in some cases, you may notice that the group created for the protection of freshly baked volume does not correspond to the size you specified. As if the DPM used the flag already placed automatically increase the size of the volumes. In fact, the reason lies in ignoring the DPM server of your edits was originally proposed by the size of volumes under the archives. Again a rare error, but the administrator DPM must be aware of its existence.

I would like to tell that when you are trying to create a new protection group then during that time Protection Manager (DPM) allocated disk space especially for that group in the storage pool. Depending on the retention range it just loads type and the size of the protected data. Whereas the DPM suggest some amount of disk space which should be allocated in the storage pool and it also check that the protected computer is having required space or not for the changes. If you have protected those data which is only subset on the protected volume then you are able to make the calculation of size of the protected data by which the DPM will be able to adjust the recommendations for disk allocation. If you wanted to do find out the calculation of the disk allocation which is using the size of the data on the protected volume then simply go to Modify Disk Allocation and just click on calculate, if will showing the appropriate result.

If the data is going out of allocate space then DPM will be trying to automatically grow the size of space by 25%, this will only happen if you have select the Automatic grow the volumes option which is there in Review Disk Allocation page of the Create New Protection Group wizard, if you have not selected it then it will be not increasing the volume, such that you will be getting an error like “Recovery point volume threshold exceeded” or “Replica disk threshold exceeded” and it will be having the method to increase the disk allocation properly. I would suggest you just try it out and see that it is same thing or not.

One more thing I would like to add over here is that when you are creating the protection group then during that DPM also calculates the default space for those type of datasource is being protected and allocated that much space to it. I would suggest that you should accept the recommended disk allocations for the protection group till the time you are confirm that allocated space are full filling your requirement or not. If do some changes in the recommended allocations then you will be getting some of the recovery points besides which really wanted to have or it might be possibility that DRM will be allocating more space than it was required. Most of the time, the recommended allocation is having proper and sufficient storage space mostly for couple of weeks of recovery points. If you wish to have according to you then can adjust the disk allocations once it has monitoring disk usage for data protection.

During the creation of protection Data Protection Manager (DPM) recommends and allocated disk space for advocacy groups, depending on the size of the protected data. It is recommended not to change the distribution of default until it is carried out monitoring of the use of disk space for the defense team. If necessary, you can change the amount allocated in accordance with the rules given in the following table. Changing the allocation of disk space, first go to DPM Administrator Console on the navigation bar, select Security, Then on the map, select the protection group for which you want to change the allocation of disk space. Now select the Actions pane, click Change the distribution of disk space. DPM Server tab, enter the amount allocated in the fields, and Tom replica of recovery points, and then click OK. If you change the allocation of disk space on a secure computer that tab, type your computer is protected volume in the column of the selected location and then click OK. Look at the changes in the allocation of disk space, and then click OK.