Thread: Unable to access machine after configuring VPN through Smoothwall Express 3.0

Unable to access machine after configuring VPN through Smoothwall Express 3.0

There is some problem while accessing my machine which is connected to the remote office and vice versa. I will explain you everything from start. First of all last week I installed Smoothwall Express 3.0 open source Firewall. With the help of this I somehow managed to configure VPN with the help of the static IP address on both side of the places i.e. at my two offices. However when I checked smoothwall successfully shows me the VPN as opened, it showed that the VPN is connected to the remote office and vice versa as already told you above but then whenever I try to access the machine being behind the smoothwall, I fail to do so. Tried multiple numbers of times but failed. Overall I am unable to access the network machine that is having an IP of 192.168.100.111 from the remote location i.e. 192.168.1.4. Please help me out in some of the other way as soon as possible; I am really in very much hurry. Its too urgent. My Configurations are as follows:-
    Left side local IP is 192.168.100.0/24
    Right side local IP is 192.168.1.0/24

Re: Unable to access machine after configuring VPN through Smoothwall Express 3.0

After reading out your post I can only make out that there must be some devices that might be missing the routing. Basically if you see people do configure and setup the routing manually. Even I had this problem number of time but then however I use to manage to get connection safely back to the normal state. The best thing you could do is to start at each device and then see to it where exactly the configuration transfers the remote IP address. Not sure but most probably your computer should be able to most probably be able to send it to the default gateway unless and until you are able to change it. now you can get back to the default gateway to see where exactly it sends. Now you can get the added issue being deal with 2 sets of routers for traffic in the tunnel when you are able to get to the VPN devices, and the traffic uses the IPs to create the tunnel. With the help of the firewall when you have a vpn, simply adds it to the complexity. If I am not mistaken I think that you have already disabled the firewall rules for testing the connection.

Re: Unable to access machine after configuring VPN through Smoothwall Express 3.0

Let me tell you that currently I am not using any kind hardware device so therefore there’s no point of checking each and every device. in more simple words I am using a software firewall i.e. smoothwall. The Open Source firewall that I have installed one of my machines is having 2 lan cards. I have been provided with an ADSL modem by my ISP with a static IP which has been configured by me to one of the Lan card as RED and private IP to my second Lan card. I have the exact same configuration on other end of my office. In both of the smoothwall I can simple notice that the VPN connections is active, the static IP can tick each other through smoothwall but then when I try to ping the private IP exceeding the smoothwall it gives an error that gets back with a lookup error and therefore the packet is completely lost.