Thread: Home server on the same network as an SBS 2008 domain and need to redirect ports

Home server on the same network as an SBS 2008 domain and need to redirect ports

I am a newbie and not knowing more in this case but as a network concern person, I need to say something regarding my issue . so to start with , I have a network with SBS 2008 as a domain and made an installation of a Home server on the same network with correspondence to the SBS 2008. But there is no network between the Outlook Web App and mobile phones after enabling the external access to the homeserver as it takes the entire SSL traffic . as I am intended to use them for remote access, I need to operate them differently and want them to use on the home server itself. Editing properties of the home server will solve my issue so that I will have them on a different port than 443 for SSL traffic. And as I am intended to allow traffic I made some addition of the ports on the WHS firewall. In addition made some modification of the IIS to listen on the new ports. But after trying so hard there were no results. Later I came to know that I didn’t made an restart of the servers and that was causing the issue , so there was still no result . or will I require an registry entry to function it properly. I am thinking of setting up a reverse proxy server and not knowing regarding the same, will it render my service. I make use of remoter access and for that there is an requirement of SBS environment and so in my case , I make use of the SBS environment . on my local network , I do have some of my users but they are not part of SBS domain. So I suppose that remote access capability will render my issue and so there is a need of the remote access capability . I want to access them the server data along with the internet connection . and I suppose that can be done all the way through remote access. Can you guys suggest me in my case.

Re: Home server on the same network as an SBS 2008 domain and need to redirect ports

Yes, definitely , you are correct , I should say that setting up a reverse proxy server will do the right thing for you , and you need to set that to forward traffic appropriately. And in addition , you cannot rely on the ports that IIS uses on your home server as they tend to be unsupportive and the router will not be appropriate to deal with this . so there is another solution as trying to move all the ports to the SBS domain would have some positive effect on the entire process and this could lead to a more compatible and the one with which we can rely on. And of course it would be more cleaner and reliable. There can be possibility that you might have access to both remote sites as well. So make sure regarding this thing it has been also confirmed that, there is no requirement for the Windows Home Server remote access features in a SBS environment . and if you are interested in backup capabilities you need to just turn it off and use Windows Home Server.

Re: Home server on the same network as an SBS 2008 domain and need to redirect ports

I need to say something in this case which will be useful. According to me, the requirements of your network configuration are large enough that they cannot deal with the router. You are interested in using the same TCP/IP ports for the same services as you have two servers. So I need to say that you need to find router which is capable of also supplying reverse proxy functionality but that too will create some more issues and the cost may also vary from the home server. But to limit your cost, I may suppose that you modify the Windows Home Server computer to move SSL to a unlike port. There is sure short possibility that this will lead to break built-in diagnostic functionality and also if you make some further update, you may not be getting the same default configuration which you had earlier.