Thread: Copy files to Windows 2003 Server failed on Mac System

Copy files to Windows 2003 Server failed on Mac System

We have a file server in our office. It is a Windows 2003 server. I had connected a Mac laptop to it. The only changes in the laptop is upgraded operating system. Now when the upgrade finished I tried to copy some files from the file server. It gave me error message while copying file. This was working fine before. The laptop looks connected to Windows server but the copy process simply does not end up on its own completely. I can copy small files the error mostly appears on number of files or large file transfer. What should I do know to fix this.

Re: Copy files to Windows 2003 Server failed on Mac System

Not surely. The copy must not be affected by upgrade. I have a server which has mix client of windows and mac. I had faced this issue sometime before due to network problem. Once I reconfigured the mac system back on server it was working.

Check properly that why are you getting that error. Is this related to a single file only or multiple files. Because last time when I face this issue, it occurred because of single video file. This file was corrupted and due to which copy paste failed. On the same hand when I copied different file it worked. You must check the integrity of files which you are trying to copy. What is the error that appear on your screen. You must mention the same in detail here so that you can get more help on the same. Check the connectivity and ensure that the mac system access to the file server is not limited.

I agree that it can be due to a corrupt file. Try to copy the same through Windows server. Shared the directory and then see the directory is visible in mac or not. Change the location of file and try to copy paste back.

Try copying the same from terminal. You can use the command cp to copy the files and then moving it your mac system. Open the terminal and use the cp command to run file copy. There will be no error. Try tco copy one file a single time instead of moving a higher number of files. It is possible to create a shared folder in Mac and then access the same from Windows server. You can directly put those file in the shared folder and access it from Mac system. This is one of the most easy way. If still the error appears then I will recommend you to use any external storage for moving the files.

There can be some issue with the connectivity which disconnects while transferring the file. I think you must go with other option. Like using a usb for the same. Try to copy from a usb.

Did your mac system is authenticated on windows server. Windows server has a feature by which the system is first authenticated and then has access to the files. The same is applicable for the file server also. Create a new account in active directory and authenticate mac system with it.