Thread: dell Inspiron 5100 locks up due to Wireless card

dell Inspiron 5100 locks up due to Wireless card

I recently made a purchase of the dell Inspiron 5100 as recommended by my friends and there are no issues and I am quite satisfied with what I have. But , the problem arises as I have a wireless card which causes my Inspiron 5100 to lock up. I have attempted three different types of cards as Netgear, Microsoft and also the Dell and all are giving me the same result. I have a laptop cooler since I considered that the heat might be causing the issues but it was not the case. I don’t know any special reason behind this, can you sort it out for me.

Re: dell Inspiron 5100 locks up due to Wireless card

I dint properly understood your question and I am not able to understand what do you mean by lock up? I've hardly ever seen XP totally lock up. Are you having any issues as does your system turn off? Are you getting a bluescreen? If there are specific error messages please subsisting . in addition to this , Have you made an reinstallation of windows lately? did you install the chipset drivers if you did?

As far as I know, I may consider that the laptop coolers don't lower temps much . you need to get a fanGUI and give your temps if you suppose it might be a heat matter. While wireless cards do generate heat they more often than not heat up the hard-drive more than anything else given their location. You need to make a note of one thing that you will require a current bios for fanGUI so that it is able to run properly.

In this case , I might suggest that you need to attempts updating the firmware and or else drivers for the cards in question. as well, you need to consider upgrading to SP2 along with uninstalling any utilities that came with your wireless card and for this case, you need to just allow SP2 manage them .

I dint properly understood your question and I am not able to understand what do you mean by lock up? I've hardly ever seen XP totally lock up. Are you having any issues as does your system turn off? Are you getting a bluescreen? If there are specific error messages please subsisting . in addition to this , Have you made an reinstallation of windows lately? did you install the chipset drivers if you did?
    To continue with what I am saying, when I say lock up, it indicates that it stops working. There are no issues with the desktop screen as it is still present there but you will be able to see that there are no applications which will open and the ones that are open (such as Outlook) won't do anything. Further, I receive "the operation failed" message from outlook when I attempt to check my email. I am not able to even shut the system down apart from to holding down the power button. If I in fact get the start menu to come up plus then click on "turn off computer" it will tend to bring up the screen with "switch user" along with "logoff".in addition , I am also having some extra doubts as where do I find the bios revision?

So I must say that you need to get in by clicking the start,and then run, and typing msinfo32 will tell you the bios revision together with lots of additional things. And if you are wishing to update you'll require to go to a22 first . and this will definitely solve your issues .

As you said that it is occurring with all the cards and the fact that it's happening with multiple brands of cards is a tad interesting and if everything’s approaching up clean scan-wise i assume you could by the time attempt reinstalling windows also with installing of all the dell drivers and in this case , if you are able to flash to A22 and subsequently to A31 i would be concerned in seeing what fanGUI says and what would be the temps. I don't suppose that's the cause for your issues as moreover flash's aren't threat free. as well, you need to make a note that the flash to A22 cannot be undone.

I was also having similar issues and to assist you in this case , I need to give you just a small example and for reference i have a p4 2.4ghz 5100. I have my cpu at 100% for and the temp will spike to a utmost of 62 at which point the fans will tend to rev up a notch along with bring it down to 58 and my cycle will then repeat as fans tend to go back to a slower speed. In addition, on idle temps it is working well . and as you said regarding the temps , I think your temps sound completely normal.

I need to add some more information in your case and as per me , I think that if you go into safe mode with networking support are you able to get the card to load/run? And if this is the case you need to see if it locks up windows there. So this might help in your case.

I have found solution which works . you need to attempts running the Dell Diagnostics, particularly the ram module tests. I doubt if you have a module that is heat sensitive? That it is a difference in Windows which is causing the issue . it might be the other case that something didn’t load in Safe Mode which is causing your issue.