Thread: Linksys BEFSR41 is giving Slow Download Speed

Linksys BEFSR41 is giving Slow Download Speed

I was using Linksys BEFSR41 previously and I was getting Slow Download Speed with the same probably 50Mbs so in order to get WiFi support in addition I have now bought WRT54GL thinking that I will get better performance with the same but then to my surprise the Download Speed is not crossing 30Mbs, I used to get better speed with BEFSR41, I don’t know what is the issue all about as I am using the same computer settings and have not miss configured anything as well, the issue is with wired connections with the WiFi turned off, is there anyone who has faced the same issue and has an idea about it???

Re: Linksys BEFSR41 is giving Slow Download Speed

I was using Linksys BEFSR41 previously and I was getting Slow Download Speed with the same probably 50Mbs so in order to get WiFi support in addition I have now bought WRT54GL thinking that I will get better performance with the same but then to my surprise the Download Speed is not crossing 30Mbs, I used to get better speed with BEFSR41, I don’t know what is the issue all about as I am using the same computer settings and have not miss configured anything as well, the issue is with wired connections with the WiFi turned off, is there anyone who has faced the same issue and has an idea about it???
    If you want then you can ssh access the router and then set the clock speed up to 250MHz and then it should work fine, if you have not yet tried that then try it out and then let me know if it is helping you can use this command nvram set clkfreq=250 for the same. Just try it out.

I have tried following the command but then it is saying that the I am not authorized, so can you provide me SSH call sequence so I can use the command without any further issues, I really did not expected the same with this new router, if I don’t find a solution for the same then I will connect the WRT54GL to my BEFSR41 for using the WiFi support and will use BEFSR41 again but then it is the last choice that I am considering, anyways if anyone find a effective solution for this then please post it here, it will be very helpful.

I have been running Tomato firmware in the router and I have not used Cisco firmware so I don’t know if there is a way by which you can allow ssh access but then if it’s not then you can try flashing Tomato so as to get the ssh acess, I think that it will be a much better option and you will be able to get download speed boosted as well, I have used Tomato in different WRT54GLs by now but then I have not yet faced any issue. Just try it out and see if it is helping you as well or not.

See if you are willing to use older router as the NAT and putting the WRT54GL on the same subnet x.x.x.254 (which is probably used for cascaded router) and then connecting 2 LAN to LAN then I will suggest you not to go via WAN port to the WRT54GL as the wireless rigs on a different subnet may result in to further issues, I don’t think that you really need a reverse cable for making the connection as WRT54GL has autosensing ports.

I just wanted to share that I have made the LAN to LAN connection by installing the WRT54GL on 192.168.1.250 as 254 has been already reserved for a Printer, now I am able to log onto 192.168.1.250 and check out the router's Web Pages as well but then I don’t know why it is saying that the router does not has Internet connection through the BEFSR41's WAN Port when I am connecting it via wifi. I have checked out the WRT54GL Advanced Routing Menu and have used the Routing Button as well and it said that 192.168.1.0 was gateway'ed by 0.0.0.0, Later I changed WRT54GL to Router Mode and also turned on RIP for both. After that The WRT54GL routing table started showing both 69.0.0.0 -0.0.0.0.0 via 192.168.1.1 and I was getting WiFi Logo on the Kindle and was not having any issue in .I will be contacting the tech support for further help.

I will like to inform you that BEF router has been meant for higher speeds than 50 Mbit/s where as WRT54GLv1.1 can do 50 Mbps as well but then under ideal test circumstances, I have found a no of people saying that with WRT54GLv1 real internet is not ideal there are packet loss, packet delays, anyways I just wanted to share that if you will be using WRT only as access point then make sure that you are disabling the DHCP server on the WRT if you won’t then it will be assigning incorrect default gateways to your clients.

blogs Guest

I don’t think that you really need a reverse cable for making the connection as WRT54GL has autosensing ports.

I think that a better idea will be using Tomato firmware it will really give you better throughput, if you want then you can change the CPU clock later from standard 200MHz to 250MHz, it is just glitch free, in order to increase the CPU freq one can just ssh onto the router and then use the below command:
    nvram set clkfreq=250
    nvram commit
    reboot

You can recheck the same using the below command:
    "nvram show | grep clkfreq"