Thread: NETGEAR ProSafe SRX5308 Gigabit Quad WAN Speed Limit

NETGEAR ProSafe SRX5308 Gigabit Quad WAN Speed Limit

This is the first time I am configuring Netgear SRX5308. Currently I have one setup at my office which has 50mbit fiber connection on WAN1, a 90mbit fiber on WAN2, as well as a 10mbit ADSL on WAN3. Wan mode is on Weighted LB. The problem is with the speed now. I can manage WAN's each computer. The WAN3 is at 10mbit as it should but WAN1 and WAN2 getting only 30mbit each. As for the specs, it should throw 50mbit and 90mbit without any problem. Then why it is having a limitation. What settings I am missing here?

Re: NETGEAR ProSafe SRX5308 Gigabit Quad WAN Speed Limit

The thing is this Netgear SRX5308 router falls in the category of Load Balancing Routers. These routers are mainly intended to perform loadsharing of traffic among various broadband connections. This might include ADSL, Cable Modems and T1/T3. It also offers redundancy as it happened that one or more connections should stop working. The main features of these of Load Balancing Routers are:
    • Highest levels of availability, scalability, and performance.
    • Resilience

Now I have heard that there is a new Firmware Version 3.0.7-45 for Netgear SRX5308. It is mainly intended to fix some issues and provide new features along with Enhancements. Due to this update, the SRX5308 now offers QoS features for users transmitting packets through WAN ports. Now users have the capability to select either Rate Control or Priority. The Rate control is use to assign the guaranteed minimum and maximum bandwidth to ports and the Priority used to assign service priority to the ports.

In my case I have connected a different ADSL modem directly to a PC and i can now get 500Kb/s download speed. After that I changed the modem mode to bridge mode and connected it to Netgear SRX5308 WAN1 port and PC to the LAN1 port. I then configured the SRX5308 to PPoE mode and WAN port to auto sense. I put 10Mb/s download and upload to 384Kb/s on a WAN port. Again tried to download the same file again but this time strangely I got 45kb/sec, which was actually less than 1/10th the speed of ADSL connection.

Here I did the test for speed and I got these results
    • Single wan mode=== about 40mbit.
    • Weighted LB mode=== about 35mbit.

So it is little better but still a slight limitation there.

There is a new firmware for the SRX which you can try to see what happens. Without your VPN will transit back only when IP will be sent. So a ping or SNMP request allows the tunnel to go up. If you do a ping-t, you will see that the first ping is very high in latency (the time that the VPN is up).