Thread: How to link 2 Netgear GS605 switches together

How to link 2 Netgear GS605 switches together

I have been trying to link 2 NetGear switches together and for that I have bought the cat5e cables. The problem is whenever I link the switches, the LAN connection stops working and there is no way I can connect my computers to the new gs605 which were linked. Also I cannot see port connection lights at all.

Re: How to link 2 Netgear GS605 switches together

I think that you are not the only one getting issue here but I am also suffering from the same kind of issue with 2 GS605 v2 switches which cannot possible to being linked up by a STP cat 6 cables. So far I have gone through every combination of ports but again and again the same issue. On both switches the port lights keep blinking when connected even though no other devices are connected. I think still I have to do something

It seems to me that you are having some kind of Autonegotiation problem among those 2 switches. I think that you are really stuck here and that is because these are unmanaged switches and you cannot do anything more to resolve this. The only option you have is to try a different cable and nothing else. If also it didn’t work, then I can barely assume that it is a compatibility issue between 2 switches.

As far as I know that adding unmanaged switches to a network or connecting is each other is a cheap and easy strategy but there are limitations. These Unmanaged switches might be vulnerable to loops due to no Spanning Tree support and there is no broadcast (no VLAN). Other than this these switches also lacking with certain features like QoS and Link Aggregation or Trunking. So it is always recommended to use Managed switches which supports VLANs, QoS, and Trunking

Yes it is true that unmanaged switches that you have, which will not able to do anything when linked together and always cause problems. But on the other hand the managed switches that are capable of trunking ports. With use of this feature you can create multiple links between switches and then aggregate them into single logical connection. This will help you to take the advantage of increased bandwidth and added redundancy. However if you are really looking forward for unmanaged switch then do not have this capability. It will always create risk over your network.

Two cascade port switches must be connected together by a straight cable. I know because I have a netgear DG814 home (integrated 4-port switch) and another 5-port switch. Both devices have no cascade port and are connected by a cable all right! And no more about any port of each device.

That is one advantage of switch over hub

It just does not suffice to define only two switches on the same VLAN, they must also be able to communicate with each other. Otherwise, the two switches are indeed connected, but cannot see. And because the traffic is only possible within the same VLAN on, goes on an arbitrarily stoppered uplink and nothing about it.

Normally, a port is as defined as an uplink; possibly two or more. If you go on an x-any port, you must make sure that the port is a member of the management VLAN (usually VLAN 1)! Otherwise, you connect two VLANs that a) nothing to do with each other and b) can also share any VLAN information. In addition, you need to create trunks for the VLANs that should be passed through this port.

So you should also use the uplink ports, which are normally configured to exchange VLAN information and forward your all on the same scale both switches VLANs.

There are 2 ideas on my mind

• The first thing is, the Autonegotiation might be picking unsuitable speed/duplex settings. Make sure that you have configured the ports manually for 100/Full
    • The second thing is the Spanning-Tree reconvergence. It might occur making the changes. This will take a while to finish. After linking you should have to wait 2 minutes.