Thread: Netgear GS748T is not able to connect until i reboot the switch

Netgear GS748T is not able to connect until i reboot the switch

I have recently bought Netgear GS748T switch in to my production and the next day I found that the some machines were not having an IP address, as far as I remember I had not changed any configuration rather than disabling the DHCP server in the switch so as to get the default IP before placing it in to the production, I have found that after rebooting the switch the workstations pickup an IP and then things are fine but then I don’t know what is causing the switch to get reboot, the switch is having latest firmware, is there anyone who can help me out in solving the issue??

Re: Netgear GS748T is not able to connect until i reboot the switch

I have recently bought Netgear GS748T switch in to my production and the next day I found that the some machines were not having an IP address, as far as I remember I had not changed any configuration rather than disabling the DHCP server in the switch so as to get the default IP before placing it in to the production, I have found that after rebooting the switch the workstations pickup an IP and then things are fine but then I don’t know what is causing the switch to get reboot, the switch is having latest firmware, is there anyone who can help me out in solving the issue??
    I think that you might have got confused, I mean that I have checked out the GS748T switch and it does not seems to be having DHCP server, I just wanted to know the following things:
    • To what you are trying to connect the GS748T Workstations?
    • When the connection gets lost are the link lights on?? Are you having link LED on the server?
    • At the time when the workstation does not have an ip address and at that time when you configure a static ip address, then are you able to ping the switch?
    • If you are saying that you are having a DHCP server, then have you tried pinging the same?

If you have not tried out the above things then check them out and then post back the result that you get.

I have checked out the things that has been mentioned above and I have found that I am having link lights on the workstation but then the light does not flash, I have tried using the static IP but then it has solved the issue. The other thing that I wanted to share is that the network is flat and I am having DHCP on the same single segment as of my workstations, I am able to ping successfully with the pc’s that have the issue using a static IP but then I cannot when it is set to DHCP, just to make the scenario more simpler the workstations is not connecting to anything until I reboot the switch and after that some PCs just loose the connection and then I have to reboot the switch again to get IP address for them, is there anything that I can do about it.

I have been facing similar issues, in my case I am able to pass traffic across my new GS748T switch using the static IP address but then I am not able to get the desktop clients to renew DHCP, I have found that the desktops connected to the same switch is not having issue with the DHCP, To add more the v3 switch is connected through GBIC port to the v4 switch and I am having two of them, I think that I am missing something in the setting on the switches in order to pass DHCP traffic, is there anyone who can help me out with it??? Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

As far as I am aware the switches will pass all DHCP traffic and you don’t have to change any settings for it, it is done by default.