Thread: Netgear GS108E switching MTU packets size not more than 540 bytes.

Netgear GS108E switching MTU packets size not more than 540 bytes.

I recently made a purchase of Netgear switches GS108E and was not having any issues as it tend to work well. But I am having some issues which tend to failure in my case. so adding further, this device is switching MTU packets size not more than 540 bytes. And I have a friend who has model GS105E and it does not tend to have any issues yet and it is denoting MTU as 1500 bytes.

Re: Netgear GS108E switching MTU packets size not more than 540 bytes.

I have some similar model and as I have made some attempts and tries and after researching well in this case, the GS116E I found that it was pings that were imperfect. 513 through 1472 are rejected it appears . to add further, I have monitored a file transfer with Wireshark as well as discovered that it was offering 1515 byte packet size constantly. I am preparing to get jumbo packets to move, but that could tend to be the configuration of my NICs.

regarding the GS108E , I would tell you that the switch is blocking ping packets larger than 512 bytes. This is in fact usual because the switch has a characteristic called Auto DoS (Denial of Service). It is coded to drop ICMP packets large than 512 bytes for safety cause. though, other jumbo frame packet will help you to recover your status.

As I found some good answers in your case , I suppose that they should definitely work. And to tell regarding it, it's interesting to note that additional types of transfers come out to be able to pass with larger packet sizes, and additionally the point still stands that one of the extremely most essential features a switch should be able to do is transfer or move a few arbitrary packet up to the typical MTU of 1500 bytes counting header. Whether this doesn't labor correctly for each and every packets or else only for pings is irrelevant; it's such a normal characteristic as to not even need any mentioning .

I have now encountered this accurate difficulty with a GS108E version 2. It is very unsatisfactory that a product could arrive at retail with such a key bug; I made some contacts with the netgear support and hope to have a resolution rapidly. If not, I will be quickly have a return of these switches.