Thread: How to setup Wifi on new Arch Linux system

How to setup Wifi on new Arch Linux system

I have been using the Macbook Pro from past one year and now I dual booted it with Arch Linux. I dint get any problem during the dual boot setup and installation went perfectly. I have configured the Ethernet and it is working without any problem. So I can use the internet through it. Now it comes to wifi connection. The card is Broadcom BCM4322, it says that I have to install Broadcom wireless driver. Does anyone know how it install it and how do I set up the wifi?

Re: How to setup Wifi on new Arch Linux system

In order to install Broadcom BCM4322 wifi card on my system using Arch Linux, I gone through the instructions available on the Broadcom page. First of all I have downloaded the tarball from the site using wget and extracted the tar file into a new folder. After that I tried the makepkg, but it shows me some kind of unknown errors.

I do not know if it exists in Arch Linux, but whether you should use network-manager or wicd especially if you are brought to you connect to different wireless access points. Can you confirm that the card is recognized?

Use the following command to check.
    Code:
      / Sbin / iwconfig
    Is it a wireless network WEP or WPA you use?

In my I have installed the proper module but it was not working properly, could not connect and when I got on every reboot was an exchange between eth0 and eth1. Finally, I have made wireless connections work perfectly with some modifications samples:
    • Install wicd to manage all connections.

Code:
    # Pacman-S wicd
    • Edit the file / etc / rc.conf.

Code:
    # Nano / etc / rc.conf
    • Modify disabling networkmanager and enabling autostart wicd.

Code:
    DAEMONS = (syslog-ng hal dbus gdm! Network netfs crond alsa wicd)
    • In the section on modules add the ipw2200 module.

Code:
    MODULES = (ipw2200)
    • Activate dhcp for all our network cards.

Code:
    eth0 = "dhcp" 
    eth1 = "dhcp" 
    INTERFACES = (eth0 eth1)
    Save the changes and reboot. From now on should work fine.

Before begin to configure your connection, you must ensure that Linux kernel know that you have a card to access the wireless network. To do this, you must install the drivers for your hardware. Most of the time an lspci command will let you know the material you use.

After this, all wifi configurations can be made through the iwconfig utility. We will assume that the interface in question is called wlan0. Entered without argument, iwconfig lists the interfaces and their parameters. If the interface in question is not a wireless card, the entry appears no wireless extensions to the interface name. This is useful to know the name of the interface to use, such as eth1 or wlan0 or check the settings.

In Arch Linux have a system for managing networks, both wireless (wireless) and Ethernet (wired), was developed by one of the Arch developers and in my opinion, is the best way to configure the network as it supports unencrypted wifi, wep, wpa, wpa2, Ethernet and even dpi.

In order to install and configure the wireless card, one thing keep in mind that the wireless board should be detected. After that you have to do a scan to see what wireless networks you got at your fingertips, and you do it with this command "iwlist wlan0 scanning". With this command you should appear for all available networks.
    Let's pretend that a network called wifi1 encounters, which has no password. To test log run "iwconfig essid wifi1" and then "dhcpcd wlan0", both commands as root. As networks do not know if you want to connect with encryption, I spent this information to connect to a network without any security. See if that helps you.