Thread: ESET Smart Security 5 detecting Port Scan attack from trusted Zone

ESET Smart Security 5 detecting Port Scan attack from trusted Zone

My ESET Smart Security 5 showing me intermittent Port scan attack from a trusted zone computer on my Home network. When there is a heavy data transfer, I am getting this notification. Do you think that it is normal?
    I have heavy data transfer ESET Smart Security 5 as Interactive mode and manually added the Trusted zone. "IDS and advanced mode" set to Default except in the trusted zone I did the following changes:
    • Allow UPNP for system services
    • Allow multicast address resolution
    • Log all blocked connections
    • Log all blocked incoming worm attacks

Re: ESET Smart Security 5 detecting Port Scan attack from trusted Zone

If you are really looking forward to disable the IDS detections within the TZ, you have to add the TS subnet inside the list of addresses which are excluded from active protection inside the zone setup. Otherwise the only way to solve the issue is, disable port scanning feature but it may be very risky.

If you are using the ESET smart security version 4, then as far as I know that there is no changes made regarding port scan detection but in version 5, it displays a alert when it detect a port scan attack. If no changes have been made for the home network while upgrading to version 5, you will get the same warning from the firewall log even after downgrading to the version 4.

This is not a problem in itself, ports scan are numerous and common, and in this case it was detected by your firewall, so everything is fine.

Your best bet against these port scans is to play dead; it's usually what the current firewall by hiding the ports of your machine.

You should know that constantly bots (automatic robots) scans random communication ports of our pc to see if any of the open and if an attack is possible (propagation mode to some computer). This is "normal" so to speak... in order to protect against them, you have to consider the following things:
    • A regular system update
    • Full configured firewall software
    • A box that also allows ISPs via NAT to protect a certain way.

It is not really something to be worried. AS far as I know that the port scanning is common on the internet, it is "interrogate" the target machine to see if it responds to certain port and then be able to tackle it. If your firewall (in your case ESET) informs you that it blocked the scan to you has nothing to fear as to the "attacking" the machine will be some sort of inexistent.