Thread: How to keep the system virus free without using a firewall or antivirus

How to keep the system virus free without using a firewall or antivirus

Hello friends, seems like you got the reason for me coming over here. I always wondered why I am suppose to buy or to subscribe for an antivirus in order to keep my computer safe from infection which instead don’t even give any assurance that my system is going to be safe and sound till the antivirus is active. And if the antivirus fails to protect our system it feels like we have wrongly invested for our system security.

But then again if you try to access your web without an antivirus you are bound to get infected with some kind of pest or infections if you dare to download any kind of unknown file. If we think, either way it’s going to be out loss. Anyone there who can give me an appropriate was of keeping my system totally safe from virus and infection without even using any kind of antivirus of firewall.

Re: How to keep the system virus free without using a firewall or antivirus

Sounds quite interesting. But I guess you are mistaken, till now I have never heard about any such thing from which you can keep your system clean and pure without even using an antivirus. In fact people die to get the best antivirus or firewall and subscribe for the costliest one to make sure that their system is very much secure and out of any danger and if you are really very much concerned or love your PC.

I am one amongst them I would never mess up or take any risk with my system security; I have recently purchased a Quick Heal Antivirus Pro 2012 for 1000 rupees. I guess it’s a one year subscription.

I personally feel that the people those who literally purchase an antivirus or a Firewall in order to keep their system safe from virus make no sense. I do not understand after they get a subscription of an antivirus or a firewall for certain amount they just come to know that their antivirus can detect almost 90% of the virus but not those which can be detected by others, why so? For me people who use a free anti-virus tool are smart people. At least they can add little extra protection on their system without even investing a single amount for the same. what I do is just download the trial version of any antivirus keeps my system clean and safe using that antivirus and then after the expiry if I really liked the antivirus, either I go for it or else try out some other brand’s trial version.

I know the trick of keeping your system safe from virus without even using an system security or network security.
    • Download any file you want just for a trial purpose
    • Right click the link, and "Save As" or "Save Target As", save it on desktop
    • Visit virus_total website, which lets us analyze any file against nearly 40+ Anti-Virus vendors.
    • Once loaded, press the "Browse" button, and find the file you just downloaded
    • In this case "eicarcom2.zip" from STEP 1, then hit "Submit"
    • Sometimes someone has already analyzed the file; if this happens choose the "Scan Anyway" option.
    • You will begin to see a list generating of each anti-virus and its result for the file.
    • Once the list finishes, you will be able to make your own judgment on whether or not to run the program.
    • Sometimes anti-virus vendors have false-positives, so 1 or 2 red flags may be acceptable to run, at your own risk though

That was a cool idea, but I would doubt this trick, it doesn’t mean that I didn’t like or trust your suggestion but it’s actually I personally believe that nothing in this world is 100% protected. So might be your trick is 0.001% unsafe or might be few more percent unsafe.

But I must admit one thing scanning your file over 40+ scanners might be not a joke, definitely that file must be safe enough to download if it passes those scanners. Even some of my friends use to talk about this Virus_total website, but this is the first time I have seen someone discussed about it in detail.

Yes this trick is awesome. I never thought that I can get to download a file or anything safely from web without even having an antivirus or firewall installed on it. This is seriously the most unbelievable trick with a priceless investment.
    You know even I feel that subscribing for an antivirus or firewall is useless and also I believe that a free antivirus is too not so worthy. Running a free antivirus on you system keeping it on the background sometimes can cost your energy utility. Having multiple types of processes running behind your system along with this antivirus can slow down your pc and also can cause your other applications take more and more time in for any operation.

I completely disagree with the suggestion or you can say trick. I don’t think that your solution can keep the system completely free from any external infected source. Let me tell you for your kind information it’s not just the downloaded file that can possibly infect your system, instead there are many other source which you can’t even imagine from where your precious machine can be infected. Downloading infected file is just one of them and not the only one, from your suggestion you can just keep your system 5 to 10% safe that’s all, not more than that.

In fact let me tell you, there are some cases where people just visit some unknown site and next their system is infected. I mean to say that once even if you just visit a site, that’s enough to infect your system. And also I would say that USB drivers are not just the one but the major cause of getting your system infected.

There are several other possibilities that can be a reason for the system infection, you know your Operating System is one amongst them, yeah it matters a lot. Suppose if you are using OSx or LINUX and not Windows, so maybe you are safer with the current OS you are using than the Windows. That’s the reason people always try to keep their system updated with the latest patches.

Using an antivirus for windows is very important and also very much normal; there are plenty of options from where you can get the best antivirus for your OS.