Thread: FreeNAS setup shows "CPU does not support long mode"

FreeNAS setup shows "CPU does not support long mode"

I was thinking to make use of my old desktops and for that, I decided to make use of the NAS box with the FreeNAS which is an offspin of FreeBSD. I started with the setup and the disc get loaded. When this is to show me the options screen then it shows me the message saying "CPU does not support long mode”. There is no install option or anything else. I am new to this and have less knowledge about this. Can you tell me that what is the problem with this and how can I get this problem solved?

Re: FreeNAS setup shows "CPU does not support long mode"

here are the steps to get tha installed and I hope that this will be helpful to you.

• To be able to start the installation, you must first in the BIOS of the computer's CD / DVD player first in the boot sequence.
    • If you now boot the computer will automatically load FreeNAS from the CD and get the next screen.
    • In this screen, select option FreeNAS to load, this happens automatically after 10 seconds, now you will get next screen.
    • Here you opt to FreeNAS on a hard drive or flash drive to install. You enter here the number "9" and press enter.
    • From the next screen we choose the first option Install 'embedded'OS on HDD / Flash / USB.
    • In this screen, click OK and get the next screen.
    • This screen allows the CD / DVD drive containing the installation CD ( In case of multiple CD / DVD drives).
    • In this screen, select the desired hard disk where you want to install FreeNAS, now click OK and get the next screen.
    • FreeNAS is now installed.

What I love about this type of operating system is how less it takes and how fast and tunable it is. It's simple and intuitive, and able to work with different file sharing protocols, making it much more versatile than other systems.

Some NAS have a wireless network connection. This means that they can enter the network via radio, without requiring a physical connection (if your network includes at least one access point or computer is equipped with wireless connection). The use of a wireless NAS is very convenient for people using the laptop: now all laptops come with Wi-Fi, and this allows you to connect your computer disc and almost instantaneous. We must say though, at least with current technology, the wireless connection is never as reliable as that of a landline.

If you have a wired home, or if you are willing to stretch the cable network, an Ethernet connection will surely give better results. In particular, many NAS use networking for a fixed Gigabit (10/100/1000). This allows for much higher performance to any wireless network in terms of speed of access to the files, provided that the used cables and network adapters are compatible with PC standard Gigabit Ethernet.

A very useful feature for a NAS is the presence of one or more ports USB 2.0 . These can be used for connecting an external hard disk (which thus becomes in effect a further network disk). In many cases you can even connect a printer, the NAS into a network printer , usable by all users.

Here are the hardware requirements for this:
    • A PC with at least 96Mb of RAM, a bootable CD-ROM drive and a choice
    • Or a Floppy Disk (for configuration) and one or more Hard Disk (for storage)
    • Or a USB drive (disk or memory stick) or CF (Compact Flash) and one or more bootable Hard Disk (for storage)
    • Or a bootable hard drive and one or more Hard Disk (for storage)
    • Or a bootable hard drive (which will be partitioned into two areas: FreeNAS, data storage space)
    • Or virtualization software, such as VMware, configured as above.

FreeNAS does not use the same generic names for network interfaces that use Linux (eth0 for example). The name for the network interface depends on the drivers used.